EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Perhaps that's because you've only searched for dire reasons. If you look at the reasons for staying in in these three links you will find that they are all mostly positive:

http://www.proeuropa.org.uk/twelevereasons

http://ldeg.org/en/page/reasons-to-stay

http://labourlist.org/2013/05/better-off-on-the-relay-team-10-reasons-why-the-eu-is-good-for-britain/

The first one in the first link.

Around 3.5 million British jobs are directly linked to British membership of the European Union’s single market – 1 in 10 British jobs.

The counter argument.

The number of foreign-born people of working age in the UK increased from 2.9 million in 1993 to 6.6 million in 2014.

If the government do a good job after brexit there won't be any British people that work now, out of work, although they might have to swap jobs, but their might be some job losses amongst the immigrant population and when they leave they will free up housing, school places, NHS resources.

The second one in your link already countered in the post above.

The UK would be the EU's largest export market so they would be daft to mess that up and we buy more them them they they from us.

Edited by sutty27

The alleged 3.5 million jobs linked to the eu is from a study that has been found to be flawed. The number has been discredited by more recent research.

Not everything about this referendum can be measured in pounds and pence. I am aware that there will be some short term disruption but like millions of others it is a price I am willing to pay for long term benefits. If we stay it will not affect me so much it is my children and I am voting for them.

I do not think the polls are as near as 50/50 because I can find only one person I know personally that is voting in and I know friends that know two others who are voting in. I believe that out voters will still win, if not I will have done my best for them and will photograph my paper with my phone and produce it in years to come when people moan. Even this thread shows a 2 to 1 majority for out. If you go on the regional paper websites there are 18 polls, 15 show majority for leaving whilst 3 from Scottish papers show remain.

Also look on the ft website poll of polls and you will find the bigger the sample the nearer it is to 50/50 with polls of over 3000 usually , about 9 out of 10, showing exit.

I think despite the scare tactics from the eu funded imf people will still vote out at least I hope so. Roll on Independence Day and if we do not do it there are other eu countries which may cause the collapse of the eu on our behalf.

Also do you not find it strange that one of the next contenders for leader of the conservatives is bojo, the arch eurosceptic.Cameron keeps saying he is spending 12 billion in foreign aid because it was in the manifesto so he will stick to it. Maybe at the next election bojo will put in Brexit again or another referendum , this time with facts rather than propaganda , and we can vote again under eu rules... That is we keep voting until we get the right result which is Brexit.

In 2015, the UK exported £223 billion of goods and services to other EU member states. Goods and services imports from the EU were worth £291 billion. That's a trade deficit of £68 billion and we had surplus of £31 billion with non-EU countries.

The UK is the largest importer of good and services from the EU, We would be their largest trading partner if things stayed the same after BREXIT.

I'd like to see your source as it contradicts mine. The UK has a trade deficit with the EU and a trade surplus with the rest of the world according to mine, which means that being able to buy cheap in the EU and sell expensive in the world is what makes the UK economy tick.

Even then, your figures still don't add up to more than 0.2% of GDP. Still significantly less than the annual GDP growth.

I'd like to see your source as it contradicts mine. The UK has a trade deficit with the EU and a trade surplus with the rest of the world according to mine, which means that being able to buy cheap in the EU and sell expensive in the world is what makes the UK economy tick.

Even then, your figures still don't add up to more than 0.2% of GDP. Still significantly less than the annual GDP growth.

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06091.pdf

BRIEFING PAPER Number 06091, 13 April 2016

And still the EU's largest trading partner, we know that the bureaucrats in the EU are nuts but will they really give up 16% of their trade out of spite.

Edited by sutty27

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06091.pdf

BRIEFING PAPER Number 06091, 13 April 2016

And still the EU's largest trading partner, we know that the bureaucrats in the EU are nuts but will they really give up 16% of their trade out of spite.

Thanks,

The simple fact remains, the trade deficit is tiny compared to the GDP, the British economy relies on buying low, selling high.

Leaving the single largest market in the world to do so does not make sense.

Thanks,

The simple fact remains, the trade deficit is tiny compared to the GDP, the British economy relies on buying low, selling high.

That rather depends on what you find most important in life and we will still be trading with the EU because it is good for them and good for us.

Overall - The latest information on the UK’s current account – which includes income from investment and payments to international bodies in addition to trade in goods and services – was running at a record 7% of GDP in the final three months of 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/10/uk-trade-deficit-hits-new-record-of-24bn-pounds-eu-referendum-brexit

Our economy is not doing very well at the moment.

All this talk about free trade, all our politicians want us to keep free trade. Is anyone talking about blocking cheap steel, and upsetting China(who are building our nuclear power plants)?

Free movement of people, outside of the EU, we will probably just let in the same number of people. A promise by the Tories to keep immigration down has amounted to nothing.

The politicians want the population to grow, because then our economy grows, and it makes them look like everything is hunky dory, its not.

I am getting more skeptical about leaving, our Government will still screw ordinary people, it keeps the wheels on the bus going around.

---------- Post added 15-05-2016 at 21:00 ----------

7%, I dont call that tiny.

Overall - The latest information on the UK’s current account – which includes income from investment and payments to international bodies in addition to trade in goods and services – was running at a record 7% of GDP in the final three months of 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/10/uk-trade-deficit-hits-new-record-of-24bn-pounds-eu-referendum-brexit

Our economy is not doing very well at the moment.

All this talk about free trade, all our politicians want us to keep free trade. Is anyone talking about blocking cheap steel, and upsetting China(who are building our nuclear power plants)?

Free movement of people, outside of the EU, we will probably just let in the same number of people. A promise by the Tories to keep immigration down has amounted to nothing.

The politicians want the population to grow, because then our economy grows, and it makes them look like everything is hunky dory, its not.

I am getting more skeptical about leaving, our Government will still screw ordinary people, it keeps the wheels on the bus going around.

7%, I dont call that tiny.

When discussing figures it pays to discuss like for like. The 'Current Account' isn't the same as the trade deficit, it includes debt payments for example, which we know are huge.

What is worrying about that 7% (and growing) figure is that the fear about Brexit is beginning to do exactly what it was predicted to do. German investment into the UK (German-owned corporations employ half a million directly in the UK) has dropped by 40% since the beginning of last year, with Siemens stating directly - a Brexit would make us seriously reconsider future investment into the UK.

That is what that 'current account' reflects, a drying up of inward investment, something that is hugely worrying - a drop in investment now will lead to a drop in GDP in a few years time.

This interesting. MEP accessing TTIP documents

This is one of the aspects of the EU I really dislike

It is indeed a very nasty situation, but do keep in mind that these restrictions have most likely been forced by a US NDA clause that was agreed to before negotiations began.

I can only say this - lobby your MEP to blow TTIP out of the water, unless they really do become open about this whole deal.

When discussing figures it pays to discuss like for like. The 'Current Account' isn't the same as the trade deficit, it includes debt payments for example, which we know are huge.

What is worrying about that 7% (and growing) figure is that the fear about Brexit is beginning to do exactly what it was predicted to do. German investment into the UK (German-owned corporations employ half a million directly in the UK) has dropped by 40% since the beginning of last year, with Siemens stating directly - a Brexit would make us seriously reconsider future investment into the UK.

That is what that 'current account' reflects, a drying up of inward investment, something that is hugely worrying - a drop in investment now will lead to a drop in GDP in a few years time.

It is indeed a very nasty situation, but do keep in mind that these restrictions have most likely been forced by a US NDA clause that was agreed to before negotiations began.

I can only say this - lobby your MEP to blow TTIP out of the water, unless they really do become open about this whole deal.

Lower investment assuming it happens will mean lower immigration, sounds like it will achieve what most people want.