EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Truth is nobody knows who these people are. They are beholden to nobody. They have no representatives and are not accountable to public.

---------- Post added 16-05-2016 at 15:44 ----------

Can't you read? :huh:

Look I can copy and paste too....

The EU Commission is the guardian of the treaties and enforces EU law. More importantly, this means it is the Government of Europe which has the sole right to propose the laws which increasingly encroach on our lives here in Britain.

The Commission is made up of 28 unelected commissioners, who cannot be held to account. Each commissioner has a specific policy area in which to create laws. The Commission has a President (currently Jean-Claude Juncker); unlike the other 27 commissioners he is personally elected by the European Parliament, however his was the only name on the ballot paper, not exactly democratic. The Commission is advised by the Directorate General, which along with the Commission is heavily lobbied. Once the Commission proposes an EU law, this proposal is taken to the Parliament.

Secondly, the Parliament is made up of 751 MEPs who are elected by the people in EU Member States every five years in elections. National parties arrange themselves into European groups of similar parties throughout Europe. It also has a President (currently Martin Schulz) who was voted in by the Parliament, but once again he was the only candidate. Theoretically, the Parliament has the ability to remove the Commission; however the Parliament has never successfully been able to remove it - even when the Commission has been full of corrupt cronies. The Parliament didn't even remove the commission of 2004 to 2009 which was full of questionable characters. This Commission included Siim Kallas the Anti-Fraud Commissioner who was given this role despite being charged with fraud, abuse of power and providing false information after £4.4million disappeared while he was head of Estonia's national bank.

This is not a Parliament in any real sense, as they have no right to propose laws. Instead it is a façade, created to make the EU look democratic, rather than give the public a choice over those who makes their laws. The Parliament does vote and can make amendments on laws proposed by the Commission, but the Commission must accept any of the amendments proposed for the changes to become effective, showing where the power lies.

Additionally, once something becomes an EU law, the Parliament has no ability to propose a change to this law. All the power is given to the Commission. It is clear the public's elected representatives do not matter in the EU. It's a 'club' to push through laws which would be rejected by national Parliaments. Once the Parliament approves an EU proposal, it is sent to the European Council.

---------- Post added 16-05-2016 at 15:45 ----------

I'm looking forward to the answer to that question.

The answer must be the EU has failed. Otherwise it would be growing, not stagnant. There would be low unemployment not increasing unemployment.

Truth is nobody knows who these people are. They are beholden to nobody. They have no representatives and are not accountable to public.
The Commission president is elected by Parliament. The rest of the Commission follows from that:

Following this election, the President-elect selects the 27 other members of the Commission, on the basis of the suggestions made by Member States.

The final list of Commissioners-designate has then to be agreed between the President-elect and the Council [ND: the European Council consists of the heads of state or government of the member states, together with its President and the President of the Commission]

The Commission as a whole needs the Parliament's consent. Prior to this, Commissioners-designate are assessed by the European Parliament committees.

Look I can copy and paste too.
But can you read? was the question.

In the meantime, reverting back to the first item above, here you go. Recognise anyone? Placing Jonathan Hill where he is in the current Commission was an inspired move by Cameron. Considering his early spat with Juncker, God knows how much (and how skilful) politicking that must have taken.

Edited by L00b

The Commission president is elected by Parliament. The rest of the Commission follows from that:

Following this election, the President-elect selects the 27 other members of the Commission, on the basis of the suggestions made by Member States.

The final list of Commissioners-designate has then to be agreed between the President-elect and the Council [ND: the European Council consists of the heads of state or government of the member states, together with its President and the President of the Commission]

The Commission as a whole needs the Parliament's consent. Prior to this, Commissioners-designate are assessed by the European Parliament committees.

In the meantime, Recognise anyone? Placing Jonathan Hill where he is in the current Commission was an inspired moved by Cameron.

This is how influential the uk is in eu:

The European Council - sometimes called The Council - is the meeting of the Member States. It is called the European Council when the leaders of each Member State are in attendance, and The Council when it's the ministers for the policy area being discussed attending. This is the final hurdle any European proposal has to pass in order to become law. Decision-making at this stage is done almost entirely by Qualified Majority Voting. This means the UK Government can vote against a proposal and as long as it receives enough votes from the other Member States it becomes law in the UK anyway. The UK only has a veto to prevent EU laws impacting the UK in a very minor number of areas. If the European Council/Council approves proposals, they become EU law. They will be in the form of EU regulations or directives. If they are regulations the new EU law applies to all Member States without any of those states having to pass legislation in their own home Parliaments. If they are directives, the national Parliaments are forced to change their national laws within a specific time limit to comply with EU law - whether they want to or not.

---------- Post added 16-05-2016 at 15:58 ----------

We have no control over what happens in European Parliament and neither do the elected MEPs

---------- Post added 16-05-2016 at 15:59 ----------

Who actually knows how it works? There are 4 presidents apparently!!

It's a cushy number for ex politicians

This is how influential the uk is in eu:
The UK has the 2nd or 3rd largest voting weight of all EU member states (was 3rd in 2003 based on 59m), commensurate with its population size.

Of course, if the UK electorate keeps electing UKIP MEPs en masse who consistently don't show up, don't vote, don't partake in Committee sessions...basically who just clock in and pick up their salary and expenses, the UK electorate only has itself to blame for their lack of legislative influence.

A case of a self-fulfilling prophecy if ever there was one, and should the UK Brexit on the back of it, hey-ho, Kippers and Brexiters can (hopefully) pick up the tab over the next decade. I won't :D

The UK has the 2nd or 3rd largest voting weight of all EU member states (was 3rd in 2003 based on 59m), commensurate with its population size.

Of course, if the UK electorate keeps electing UKIP MEPs en masse who consistently don't show up, don't vote, don't partake in Committee sessions...basically who just clock in and pick up their salary and expenses, the UK electorate only has itself to blame for their lack of legislative influence.

A case of a self-fulfilling prophecy if ever there was one, and should the UK Brexit on the back of it, hey-ho, Kippers and Brexiters can (hopefully) pick up the tab over the next decade. I won't :D

So vote remain & pick up the tab for mass net migration driving down wages.

Romania are in, Turkey, Albania, Serbia next. Greece will seem like a pleasant dream.

In the meantime, reverting back to the first item above, here you go. Recognise anyone? Placing Jonathan Hill where he is in the current Commission was an inspired move by Cameron. Considering his early spat with Juncker, God knows how much (and how skilful) politicking that must have taken.

And speaking of Juncker,

And speaking of Juncker,

Owned !:cool::cool::cool:

---------- Post added 16-05-2016 at 16:26 ----------

Jonathan Hill where he is in the current Commission was an inspired move by Cameron. Considering his early spat with Juncker, God knows how much (and how skilful) politicking that must have taken.

Jonathan who?

The answer must be the EU has failed. Otherwise it would be growing, not stagnant. There would be low unemployment not increasing unemployment.

The EU should be falling all over themselves to encourage us to vote out, just think of all those jobs they will gain when we leave. :rolleyes:

You have mentioned that Switzerland had to accept free movement but tell me do they have to pay the benefits to the scroungers like we have to now. Loob you say you will not pick up the tab should we Brexit, I take it from that you may be leaving the UK. If so,although I have never met you in person,I Would like to be there to wave you goodbye as you head presumably to somewhere in your beloved eu, so,please let me know, if we Brexit,when and from where you are departing.

Thanks for the entertainment, retep. 10 on the smile-o-meter, as usual with Nigel's performances :D

Owned !:cool::cool::cool:
Owned how?

Because Nigel Farage explains the Council President selection process which I first posted a page ago and waxes his usual populist lyrics about it?

I stand corrected: it's not reading you seem have a problem with, it's comprehension :rolleyes:

You have mentioned that Switzerland had to accept free movement but tell me do they have to pay the benefits to the scroungers like we have to now. Loob you say you will not pick up the tab should we Brexit, I take it from that you may be leaving the UK. If so,although I have never met you in person,I Would like to be there to wave you goodbye as you head presumably to somewhere in your beloved eu, so,please let me know, if we Brexit,when and from where you are departing.
You make visiting some Schadenfreude on Brits after a Brexit hard to resist, my caterpillar'd friend :D

Not sure if I'll leave, actually. According to plans, I've kept complete freedom in that respect :thumbsup: But the business and taxed income absolutely will, as will my tax income to No.11. After that, it will be a question of what No.10 negotiates afresh about dual taxation. Can't see the current system changing much, because City...but there's always the potential for the British electorate to cut more than its nose to spite its face of course! Neither outcome is any skin off my nose ;)

Edited by L00b