EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

the one I go to is owned by a friend of mine and all his employees are claiming in work benefits. he couldn't be able to operate paying his 10 employees minimum wage and that suits him and his employees:D not enhanced the local economy much do you think?

actually it probably is, low paid workers tend to spend their money locally which keeps the local economy going

discussing the failure of the education system is a whole thread in itself

Well we've been in the EU for 40 years. It's not hard to work out to integrate ourselves in Europe we should be learning languages as a bare minimum.

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 10:01 ----------

actually it probably is, low paid workers tend to spend their money locally which keeps the local economy going

No they don't. They send money back home. Half of them in car washes aren't even paying taxes.

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 10:03 ----------

The one I saw in Leeds they barely spoke English...the one on Bramhall lane too...All it dpes is keep wages low for British citizens and deprives the state of vital money that is needed for services.

indeed, so if you stop people entering the country wages will go up, prices will go up etc etc

also, a fair number of these people do jobs which the natives are either too idle to do or think are beneath them

most of the hand carwashes i encounter seem to be populated by immigrants, we never saw them before the eastern europeans arrived so they haven't taken any native jobs but created jobs and enhanced the local economy

Its the worst kept secret in the world that many of these hand car washes are money laundering operations. (allegedly :D)

Well we've been in the EU for 40 years. It's not hard to work out to integrate ourselves in Europe we should be learning languages as a bare minimum.

yes we should

in fact, we should be doing more than that, one thing europe is crying out for is strong leadership with a vision for all. admittedly our current crop of leaders and their alternatives are lacking in this regard but we could and should have been offering at least something.

the referendum looks like its going to be 50something% to stay 40something% to go and that's been part of the problem over the years. we've never really engaged.

we should do, totally and completely and if we do it right we could almost certainly redefine the eu more in our image and as long as we dont try to force them all to play criket we could probably carry most of the eu with us.

Nothing wrong with learning other languages, but I hope you're not seriously suggesting that people in Europe learn all/most other European languages for this superstate to work. As much as it will irritate particularly the Germans and French, it makes sense to use the international language that is English.

Nothing wrong with learning other languages, but I hope you're not seriously suggesting that people in Europe learn all/most other European languages for this superstate to work. As much as it will irritate particularly the Germans and French, it makes sense to use the international language that is English.

people in other countries learn English as a minimum. So being an English speaker is no advantage.

But many know German, French etc, like the Swiss.

To work in another country you probably need to know the native language. Not in all cases but as a rule of thumb. If you look at professional German job posts many ask for English and German fluent.

This is our problem. We arrogantly believe English is the only language we need while the rest of the world overtake us. To be competitive in Europe we need our young people to be bi lingual.

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 10:25 ----------

Especially now we are going to stay in Europe. Graduates should be looking further afield or using languages to help with their domestic job prospects.

Edited by Tomjames

Just heard about this on Sunday politics, head of CBI wants to remain in EU and just confirmed this.

UK is being forced to pay back up to £43 BILLION in tax to giant companies...thanks (surprise, surprise) to EU courts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3446041/UK-forced-pay-43-BILLION-tax-giant-companies-thanks-surprise-surprise-EU-courts.html#ixzz49NaN31Vi

yes we should

in fact, we should be doing more than that, one thing europe is crying out for is strong leadership with a vision for all. admittedly our current crop of leaders and their alternatives are lacking in this regard but we could and should have been offering at least something.

the referendum looks like its going to be 50something% to stay 40something% to go and that's been part of the problem over the years. we've never really engaged.

we should do, totally and completely and if we do it right we could almost certainly redefine the eu more in our image and as long as we dont try to force them all to play criket we could probably carry most of the eu with us.

So why haven't we then? Why is the government so desperate to be European yet we do nothing to integrate ourselves into Europe?

It's a farce, it's not for citizens, it's a political agenda.

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 10:36 ----------

The truth is many people want to be British not European. The United Kingdom. ...

But we don't grow up bi lingual like the scandanavians. And you need German to work in Germany really.

There maybe opportunities in English or in English speaking companies but not wide spread.

I spent last week in Denmark and most of the the people I met there had a better command of the English language than many of the contributors to Sheffield Forum. I am retired now but for most of my working life I worked on international projects, living and working around the world and I can remember life before we joined Europe. After we joined my life within Europe became much easier as far as freedom of travel and ease of moving equipment and tools around was concerned, I also had the same rights as the locals.

I was not the only Brit taking advantage of working overseas, remember those loveable guys from the Newcastle area in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet?

Europe has been very good for me, I took every advantage of it, when I setup my own business I even got development grants funded by the EU. I will be voting to stay, I feel sorry for the people who will miss out on the opportunities I had if we vote to leave.

I spent last week in Denmark and most of the the people I met there had a better command of the English language than many of the contributors to Sheffield Forum. I am retired now but for most of my working life I worked on international projects, living and working around the world and I can remember life before we joined Europe. After we joined my life within Europe became much easier as far as freedom of travel and ease of moving equipment and tools around was concerned, I also had the same rights as the locals.

I was not the only Brit taking advantage of working overseas, remember those loveable guys from the Newcastle area in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet?

Europe has been very good for me, I took every advantage of it, when I setup my own business I even got development grants funded by the EU. I will be voting to stay, I feel sorry for the people who will miss out on the opportunities I had if we vote to leave.

I worked in Germany and for a short time in Spain.

One thing I noticed is everyone speaks at least two languages and they learn from the age of 5.

And young people see themselves as European. They think nothing of studying and working abroad.

If we are to stay in Europe I believe it's our own interests to assimilate with the rest of Europe with study and work. We need to do trade outwardly too. It surely has to happen.