EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

By increased opportunities do you mean executive jobs in the car wash, fruit and veg picking, warehouse picking, fast food, chicken pulling, bread making, care home dirty jobs etc industries? These seem to be the jobs the unskilled migrants do that we Brits could take when they leave. The Johnny Foreigners I know working over here are highly skilled, multi language professionals who we would have difficulty replacing with local Brits, but help is at hand if we do leave, all the Brits working in Europe could be heading home. The answer is, we just don't know.

Increased competition from excessive inward migration affects British people in all industries not just low skilled industries, it suppresses wages across all industries and increases living costs for everyone.

ukip was labour now ukip

When is this UKIP " northern breakthrough" gonna take place, if ever ? Only got one MP and he's a Tory defector. Went into the General Election with two MPs and even lost one of them.

Talk about lost causes

Edited by nikki-red

List the risks of staying in, and let's go through them

It's well documented.we don't need to go through it again.

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 12:38 ----------

Increased competition from excessive inward migration affects British people in all industries not just low skilled industries, it suppresses wages across all industries and increases living costs for everyone.

It does. And with 5 low paid countries joiming up on the horizon it will get considerably worse for the average working man.

In some higher tech industries (where I earn my living) in my experience it is non-EU immigration that has created competition, not EU immigration.

The wages are not suppressed, but I would agree opportunities for youngsters are, and this process has been happening since before 2000, since way before the accession countries started providing more labour to our economy.

EU immigration has made no difference in that respect. Two previous companies I worked for brought in between them, over 20 years since 1996, thousands of Indian workers between them plus the workers' families. That had nothing to do with the EU, but rather the opportunistic and loose interpretation of our non-EU immigration system.

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 13:44 ----------

It's well documented.we don't need to go through it again.

---------- Post added 22-05-2016 at 12:38 ----------

It does. And with 5 low paid countries joiming up on the horizon it will get considerably worse for the average working man.

Easy then. Point me to where it is well-documented and I will comment.

In some higher tech industries (where I earn my living) in my experience it is non-EU immigration that has created competition, not EU immigration.

The wages are not suppressed, but I would agree opportunities for youngsters are, and this process has been happening since before 2000, since way before the accession countries started providing more labour to our economy.

EU immigration has made no difference in that respect. Two previous companies I worked for brought in between them, over 20 years since 1996, thousands of Indian workers between them plus the workers' families. That had nothing to do with the EU, but rather the opportunistic and loose interpretation of our non-EU immigration system.

Indeed, immigration is for the benefit of employers, it allows them to keep wages lower than they would be without immigration and it reduces the need to spend money on training to the detriment of the indigenous population.

By increased opportunities do you mean executive jobs in the car wash, fruit and veg picking, warehouse picking, fast food, chicken pulling, bread making, care home dirty jobs etc industries? These seem to be the jobs the unskilled migrants do that we Brits could take when they leave. The Johnny Foreigners I know working over here are highly skilled, multi language professionals who we would have difficulty replacing with local Brits, but help is at hand if we do leave, all the Brits working in Europe could be heading home. The answer is, we just don't know.

Yeah, Page Hall is full of scientists, doctors and highly skilled engineers making a vast contribution to the UK economy.

I see Cameron's made his weekly u-turn today, saying we have a veto on Turkey entering the EU, then on the Sunday Politics it showed a clip of him in 2010 making a speech in Turkey saying he wanted them in and he was the best friend they had in Europe. What a tool.

Then we had the boss of the NHS saying it would suffer if we left, why? Won't they have enough patients. David Owen swiftly debunked that by pointing out that anyone already here has an automatic right to remain. Then further saying that this is a bloke who is presiding over a three billion pound deficit in the NHS and he might be better employed sorting that out.