EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Depends which real world you're talking about ;)

Much of the pro-Brexit business ('real') world is banking on the UK getting an EEA/EFTA-but better-like deal with the EU. Here's why it won't happen, and here's how the EU would 'lump' the Brexiting UK with Switzerland, complete with freedom of movement and the core body of EU legislation (the "acquis communautaire"), minus financial passporting rights (which are the quasi-sole reason the City enjoys so much business from the Swiss currently, and which business the City would therefore lose, to Germany and/or Dublin).

Amongst the four example countries of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, the first three are EEA/EFTA, and only Switzerland is EFTA only.

The EEA treaty includes free movement with the EU, so EEA membership automatically involves that. Accordingly I can't see a Brexiting UK going for EEA, it would be orders of magnitude worse than cutting one's nose to spite one's face (because retaining all the disadvantages of the EU membership, but losing all of the advantages).

Free movement for Switzerland, on the other hand, is provided by EU-Switzerland bilateral agreements, not by the EFTA agreement. So although, factually, there's free movement between all the EFTA states and the EU, that free movement is not something that joining EFTA entails, but has been negotiated separately by the only non-EEA EFTA state (Switzerland).

However, the likelihood of getting an EFTA deal, which is not the same as Single Market access, are slim to none. The other EU countries have made it clear that individually crafted bilateral deals are not somewhere they want to go, or even stay:

The UK's importance as a market to the rest of the EU is often brought out as a reason why this won't apply to the UK: Switzerland is the EU's 3rd market after the USA and China, which is the position that the UK would occupy in the event of Brexit.

Accordingly that will be the EU's negotiating backstop: that access to the EU market is conditional on accepting the acquis, which includes free movement.

What might happen in the event of Brexit is that the current moves towards a "cooperation agreement" with Switzerland would be broadened to include the UK, so that relations between the EU and both countries would be governed by the same agreement: either way, adoption of the acquis, including free movement, will be a non-negotiable part of the deal.

The EU showed this, when the recent Swiss referendum result breached the bilateral agreements.

And what would the EU have to do to access the UK market?

And what would the EU have to do to access the UK market?
Why don't you polish your own crystal ball ask VoteLeave and tell us? :)

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 15:55 ----------

or better still get a good brief who knows what hes doing :hihi:
Amongst the very best in the UK for divorce proceedings, are these, who acted for the billionaire husband in this case.

In any sort of legal proceedings, as a legal practitioner, let me tell you that past performance is never any indicator of future chances of success: as soon as one party issues proceedings, both have already lost regardless ;)

Edited by L00b

Why don't you polish your own crystal ball ask VoteLeave and tell us? :)

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 15:55 ----------

Amongst the very best in the UK for divorce proceedings, are these, who acted for the billionaire husband in this case.

In any sort of legal proceedings, as a legal practitioner, let me tell you that past performance is never any indicator of future chances of success: as soon as one party issues proceedings, both have already lost regardless ;)

like I said get a good brief who knows what they doing :D

like I said get a good brief who knows what they doing :D
Oh, are you suggesting the UK doesn't have any these now?

Be a shame to have to go outside the UK for that 'good brief who knows that they doing', no? :hihi:

Especially after a Brexit, once non-tariff barriers protecting the EU services industry kick in in anger and makes them still more expensive than they already are :twisted:

(and if you're one of these close-minded Brexiters who think non-tariff barriers don't exist/won't happen, but might like an idea/taster, have a look at e.g. Luxembourg's existing, extensive legislation specifically forbidding the offshoring of services that can be provided domestically, e.g. IT or customer, to the likes of India, Brazil, etc., a list which the UK would join once it exits the EU...makes you wonder why the UK hasn't ever emulated them, since it's not as if UK citizens haven't been moaning en masse about India-based customer service desks and offshoring generally ;)).

Edited by L00b

Be a shame to have to go outside the UK for that 'good brief who knows that they doing', no? :hihi:

Especially after a Brexit, once non-tariff barriers protecting the EU services industry kick in in anger and makes them still more expensive than they already are :twisted:

(and if you're one of these close-minded Brexiters who think non-tariff barriers don't exist/won't happen, but might like an idea/taster, have a look at e.g. Luxembourg's existing, extensive legislation specifically forbidding the offshoring of services that can be provided domestically, e.g. IT or customer, to the likes of India, Brazil, etc., a list which the UK would join once it exits the EU...makes you wonder why the UK hasn't ever emulated them, since it's not as if UK citizens haven't been moaning en masse about India-based customer service desks and offshoring generally ;)).

You are presuming of course that the EU stays in one piece after a Brexit, highly unlikely the way things are going.

no I just said getting a good brief who knows what they doing, and now your waffling on pity you not getting paid for this init :hihi:

I haven't been here for quite some time. But reading all the scaremongering on the BBC news website, I thought I'd check in to see what my country fellows are thinking.

It seems the majority of us in the real world are considering voting out. As my better half pointed out those in the public sector haven't got a clue what life is like outside their bubble. In her office the mood is definitely one of voting out, where I work (engineering) not one person is admitting they'll vote to stay.

I seriously doubt we will leave, but a high percentage of "No" votes would certainly send out a warning shot.

I agree that the massive influx of migrant workers has kept wages to an absolute minimum. Those with good jobs couldn't give a toss, so why should we consider their plight if we were to exit.

People vote in their own self interests usually. If I was 18 and waiting to go on a gap year I'd vote remain....I think a lot of people a bit older and more clued up about the EU institution understand what it means for Britain for the next 40 years.

Apparently you are 2 and a half more times likely to vote leave if you work in a semi skilled or manual job.

Well, if you're happy to restart from scratch and to let her keep the house, the Porsche, the yacht and custody of the kids and pets...vote Brexit :thumbsup::D

Give over; Britain's dynamic economy, the City of London, the armed forces, creative industry, the Scotish and York rites of Freemasonry, etc, are the proverbial house, Porsche, yacht and kids. ;)