EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Paul Mason (an odd man!) made a few interesting points on Question Time about the EU crumbling anyway. He wasn't given enough time to elaborate sadly. In typical biased BBC fashion to suit their remain agenda, Paul Nutall from UKIP was given a chance to speak.

Look at what's happened in Austria; 31,000 votes short of governance for a party founded by an ex SS member and lead by a blue cornflower wearer....La Pen on the rise in France, anger at Merkel in Germany, Hungary etc etc plus the continuing struggle for Spain, Italy and Greece. The whole EU thing might collapse by itself.

But there won't be a Brexit.

I quite like that fellow Mason and he made excellent sense the other night on QT. He clearly wants to leave but is scared of the boris / gove alliance taking over.

I think you could throw a blanket over Cameron, Osborne, Gove and Boris personally.

---------- Post added 24-05-2016 at 12:29 ----------

Hipsters? There are more non-hipsters than hipsters... If remain wins you can't blame them. You can blame OUT for saying it will all be alright without providing any evidence.

Trade is no reason to stay in the EU? Thank god not everyone sees it the same way. Your example of Norway is poor by the way. I cannot be bothered to explain why.

Hipster urban centres. Idealistic nit wits. sorry... #hipsternitwits

---------- Post added 24-05-2016 at 12:33 ----------

I didn't, I said they were outside the 1st global market, the EU (which can at times be 2nd to the US or China (not both) depending on the indicator/indicia of reference).

You're being either obtuse or stupid, regrettably I'm ever less sure about which :(

And I repeat there is no such term as the "1st global market". :confused:

We are either in a global economy or we are not....India, US, UK & China are big players in the global economy & can conceivably trade with any bloc or country they can agree terms with.

We have product the rest of the world wants and buy product the rest of the world produces.

---------- Post added 24-05-2016 at 12:36 ----------

Whilst I'm in agreement about the inevitability of globalisation and have said this often before (it can't really be argued any other way!), I don't think handing ourselves over into it was the right way, and more to the point, we had no say in it.

If someone wants to join it and keep it fair to other countries in it, they should alter to fit in, not us fit in around them.

NMW rates in 2015 of the 8 in Euros

Czech Republic, 2.00

Hungary, 2.00

Poland, 2.40

Slovakia, 2.00

Slovenia, 4.56

Estonia, 2.32

Latvia, 2.18

Lithuania, 1.97

UK, 9.09

-

If the EU was similar economies, and work cultures, then the vote would be a much easier IN vote.

UK Germany France etc.

We are deep already in the throes of Globalisation. And there's this thing called the INTERNET. It's only going to become easier and easier to trade freely with the world.

Edited by Tomjames
j

I just put it in to see if anyone would quote it, thinking it could be considered that I'm a racist :hihi:

(it was supposed to say cultures work slipped it way in as I was typing about, and copying figures about work)

I have worked with people from all over Europe. Culturally I never felt any clash; In my experience; Norwegians talk about skiing a bit too much, Italians care way too much about food, Romanians have been very curious about our eccentricities, Germans are funnier than we give them credit for, Austrians like music that I personally think is all just noise, Polish people never quite grasped that if you say 'hi, how are you' the correct response is 'hey, how are you,' Bulgarians have been lovely (in a couple of cases just a little bit mad), Portuguese are great, Hungarians are quiet etc etc etc.

Not one of them was stealing a job that a British person could do. I won't bore you with the details why. They all paid a significant amount of tax to the UK economy: I know because I know what their wages were.

Who mentioned stealing British jobs?

Your interpretation, not my words.

My oh my.....I was stating that I never experienced any culture clash.

The point after was in advance of anyone saying 'yeah, but surely British people could do those jobs!'

No need to get defensive.

---------- Post added 24-05-2016 at 12:51 ----------

He did. It's the go to response when you mention you would like to control immigration.

And makes perfect sense when you point out that 'controlling immigration' might just mean we have gaps in the workforce. That cannot be filled by British workers. Which I think I wrote in my post.

Typical foamy mouth Brexit nonsense. 'He's accusing me of racism, putting words in my mouth, how can I possibly debate with these leftie maniacs!'

I never put words in anyone's mouth. Well...except in this post ;-P

Edited by Shef1985

And makes perfect sense when you point out that 'controlling immigration' might just mean we have gaps in the workforce. That cannot be filled by British workers. Which I think I wrote in my post.

Typical foamy mouth Brexit nonsense. 'He's accusing me of racism, putting words in my mouth, how can I possibly debate with these leftie maniacs!'

I never put words in anyone's mouth. Well...except in this post ;-P

See youre prejudice already. I support Corbyn (if anyone...if there was a fascist party in contention maybe that, anything but neo-liberal politics) & a third of Labour supporters intend to vote leave. Don't assume it's just right wingers want to leave.

Edited by Tomjames

See youre prejudice already. I support Corbyn (if anyone) & a third of Labour supporters intend to vote leave. Don't assume it's just right wingers want to leave.

My apologies to you then.

But, in all honesty, I don't think its just right wingers that want to leave. Some on the left are equally wrong.

My apologies to you then.

But, in all honesty, I don't think its just right wingers that want to leave. Some on the left are equally wrong.

I don't think it's a right versus left debate...after all the conservative vote is split.

I don't think it's a right versus left debate...after all the conservative vote is split.

Me either.

Here's what I actually think. At best (for Brexiters) if we leave, absolutely nothing will change for Mondeo Man. At worst, who knows what might happen. I don't believe all the Remain rhetoric but I can understand (though it don't agree with!) their fear mongering.

But the out campaign is beyond weak. There is zero vision, other than this notion everything will magically be better, because we can negotiate ourselves back in but at the same time fix all the ills. Ask them how and they don't really know.

I don't think the EU can or will hold this referendum against us. It's a simple vote as to whether we want to stay in a club. Compared to the frankly terrifying rise of the far right in mainland Europe, little old Blighty having a referendum is peanuts. Who knows what might become of the EU if they start to get power. Will we see other nations have their own referendums on the EU?