EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Facetiously, I'd suggest that you dust off and polish your crystal ball to get answers to all these questions :hihi:

Love him or loathe him (or anywhere in-between for that matter), Cameron's a consummate politician and has amply proven himself as such time and again since before 2010, so I'm quietly confident that there was plenty of method to the apparent madness, and still is ;)

As to what I think happened between Cameron and Juncker behind closed doors...I have zero doubt both Cameron and the EU were highly attuned (and still are) to the political risks of a Brexit, highly aware of the Conservative's decades-old Eurosceptic rift and the dynamics of domestic UK politics, and highly aware of the EU's position of economical strength relative to the UK in the case of a Brexit. So, as with any negotiation since the year dot, a bit of blanket-pulling and blanket-giving was done by both sides, until a mutually-acceptable intermediate position was achieved.

I wouldn't call that cynicism...more like pragmatism :)

Fair play. I look forward to his memoirs :)

BTW, you all see cookie based adverts on the Forum right??? Well right below this very thread, on my screen, is one for Capital & Conflict apparently offering to tell me the truth about Brexit and how we will prosper. :huh:

Edit: In the interests of full disclosure Richard Branson is now telling me to stay :-)

Edited by Shef1985

If we hadn't limited the fishing we may have reached a stage that the east coast of Canada has, where they no longer have any fishing stock left. So it could be argued that the common fishing policy has saved our fishing industry.

If we hadn't limited the fishing we may have reached a stage that the east coast of Canada has, where they no longer have any fishing stock left. So it could be argued that the common fishing policy has saved our fishing industry.

didn't we only limit it for our fishermen and allow every other fishermen from the eu to come in thou :suspect:

Roll on 24th June I am fed up of hearing all the hypothetical outcomes if we stay or go. Now Cameron saying holidays could go up about £230 for a family of four also air travel could cost more.[/quote
Edited by monkey104
I was that incensed I posted twice.

didn't we only limit it for our fishermen and allow every other fishermen from the eu to come in thou :suspect:

No, we didn't, not even close to it. Before the CFP everybody was free to take whatever they liked from whatever water that was more than an arbitrary two nautical miles out.

Your interpretation of events is one held by fishermen who didn't want it to change and needed something else than their shortsighted profit focussed emptying of the seas. They are the same ones moaning about the 'return' policy because they can't do what they used to do, bring everything that swims and is in your nets on land anyway because they made fishmeal/fertiliser out of the ground up discarded fish, so every kilo was worth a few pennies with their local backward cooperatives. That is exactly what destroyed the fishing industry in the first place, catching to catch rather than catching to supply.

I am happy to provide you with my uncle's phonenumber, a once proud Dutch fisherman put to pasture because the North Sea herring he used to rely on got ground into fertiliser in the Scottish harbours because they could and noone would buy it off them. By the time the CFP came round it was too late.

No, we didn't, not even close to it. Before the CFP everybody was free to take whatever they liked from whatever water that was more than an arbitrary two nautical miles out.

Your interpretation of events is one held by fishermen who didn't want it to change and needed something else than their shortsighted profit focussed emptying of the seas. They are the same ones moaning about the 'return' policy because they can't do what they used to do, bring everything that swims and is in your nets on land anyway because they made fishmeal/fertiliser out of the ground up discarded fish, so every kilo was worth a few pennies with their local backward cooperatives. That is exactly what destroyed the fishing industry in the first place, catching to catch rather than catching to supply.

I am happy to provide you with my uncle's phonenumber, a once proud Dutch fisherman put to pasture because the North Sea herring he used to rely on got ground into fertiliser in the Scottish harbours because they could and noone would buy it off them. By the time the CFP came round it was too late.

heres a link I found that tells things differently

http://campaignforanindependentbritain.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Fisheries-booklet-FULL.pdf :suspect:

Would you expect that website to provide you any source of information that is contrary to a Brexit agenda?

How many sources did you ignore that tells things the other way?

Edited by Shef1985

Love him or loathe him (or anywhere in-between for that matter), Cameron's a consummate politician and has amply proven himself as such time and again since before 2010, so I'm quietly confident that there was plenty of method to the apparent madness, and still is ;)

As to what I think happened between Cameron and Juncker behind closed doors...I have zero doubt both Cameron and the EU were highly attuned (and still are) to the political risks of a Brexit, highly aware of the Conservative's decades-old Eurosceptic rift and the dynamics of domestic UK politics, and highly aware of the EU's position of economical strength relative to the UK in the case of a Brexit. So, as with any negotiation since the year dot, a bit of blanket-pulling and blanket-giving was done by both sides, until a mutually-acceptable intermediate position was achieved.

I wouldn't call that cynicism...more like pragmatism :)

I guess you think the above is a complement. I think its the reason most of us hate most of the politicians most of the time.

Everything is negotiable.

No morals. No beliefs. No ideals. No backbone.

Gosh, looking at the authors makes me wonder if it was written by one or two of those fishermen thatI mentioned, surely not?

Also laughable to state Norway stayed out due to the Fishing Policy, if they did, than great for them as fishing is at most 2% of their economy (here it is even less) but do get free movement of people, which you don't like, all the rules applying to the single market without any influence, which you don't like, and pay a significant amount per capita to the EU, which you don't like.