EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Now the IFS are saying that Brexit could extend austerity by 2 years which to me means that there would be some end to austerity and bearing in mind that it will take 2 or more years to actually exit the EU we will be on an even keel. Wouldn't it?

I dare say if the government are desperate enough they will claim a Brexit will lead to a rise in syphillis and people hopping about on one foot!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36371700

Also a farmer on the news last night was saying that he could not get people to work on his farm so relied on EU migrants to work for him.

Their pay was £ 10.00 an hour. My question to myself was "Why the hell are we not making fit able bodied jobseekers take these jobs?"

Now the IFS are saying that Brexit could extend austerity by 2 years which to me means that there would be some end to austerity and bearing in mind that it will take 2 or more years to actually exit the EU we will be on an even keel. Wouldn't it?

I dare say if the government are desperate enough they will claim a Brexit will lead to a rise in syphillis and people hopping about on one foot!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36371700

Also a farmer on the news last night was saying that he could not get people to work on his farm so relied on EU migrants to work for him.

Their pay was £ 10.00 an hour. My question to myself was "Why the hell are we not making fit able bodied jobseekers take these jobs?"

How can we have more austerity when we haven't add any austerity.

Whilst haven't spent much time looking for a job, when I have looked I have never seen a job add for farm work.

Found one.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Taylor-Martin-Industrial-Recruitment-&-OnSite-Team/jobs/Farm-Worker-9bffecb56e594607?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvTCbhkz66tNhUFQ8-5PLp8zOfIzv2RSmouNlZT0TFb94oWLrh1uRaZ2ThnzCMnEroBjMM5aHbGfbeTREmgX5vddxDk6csk67mjgNLwhxDqVR

Farm Workers required ASAP - START 10th MAY 2016

Taylor Martin Industrial Recruitment & OnSite Team - Retford

£6.70 - £7.20 an hour - Temporary

Require 2x Farm Workers to Start ASAP

Potato Picking and working around a busy farm based in Retford.

You MUST have a Car

Safety Boots

Must have experience working in a Farm

Able to do Manual Labour work

Must be able to do Lifting

Hours of work are 7.30am - 5.00pm - Full Time

Rate of Pay - £6.70 - £7.20 per hour

Edited by sutty27

Glad you've seen the light.

The light at the end of the tunnel is dim. Must be one of those energy saving light bulbs. Bloody Europe!!

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 13:39 ----------

Yes, it means exactly that. If you do not know what the word extend means.

Protectionism may produce short term gains, but always makes people poorer in the long run.

Also, free trade prevents wars.

Is meant to allow fair competition between imports and goods and services produced, who can be against fair competition?

No one can know that free trade ever prevented a war.

I can. It has prevented many.

The question to my mind is does the EU serve the goal of maximising free trade.

It's a trading bloc. That means that there is free trade within it, but does that serve world-wide free trade.

A big part of the motivation for the founding of the European project after WWII was that free trade between the European nations would help keep them from going to war with each other again.

But now the threat of war is not width European nations but those outside. Relations are poor with Russia. Don't get me started on the middle-east and there are still regular tensions with China.

If we broke up the EU, and everybody who wanted to sell to a European nation had a level playing field whether they were another European nation or not would that increase trade between Europe and the rest of the world.

I think it would.

---------- Post added 25-05-2016 at 13:51 ----------

Is meant to allow fair competition between imports and goods and services produced, who can be against fair competition?

No it isn't. It's meant to protect one or more national industries at the expense of wider economic growth.

I can. It has prevented many.

The problem you have is that you can't prove it, so even though you can see into alternative retaliates, no one else can.

But out of curiosity how many people would have died if not for free trade and what would the world population be now?

Whilst you are looking into your crystal ball, how many people die each year as a consequence of countries like the UK actively encouraging doctors to move away from people that need them more than we need them.

Edited by sutty27

The problem you have is that you can't prove it, so even though you can see into alternative retaliates, no one else can.

But out of curiosity how many people would have died if not for free trade and what would the world population be now?

It's perfectly obvious that free trade has prevented wars. You only have to read a little history. It is, I will admit, hard to nail down exactly how things would have come out without the push for free trade.

Whilst you are looking into your crystal ball, how many people die each year as a consequence of countries like the UK actively encouraging doctors to move away from people that need them more than we need them.

I'm not somebody who wholeheartedly approves of brain-draining poor countries. I can see wisdom the moral objections you raise. Still the over-all effect of free trade is, I am quite convinced, very positive.