EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Your maths is a little out there. If you're talking about maintaining notionally EU spending in the UK, that's an extra £4.5bn on top of the £8.5bn of our "net" contribution. It's not just a matter of where to spend the £8.5bn, but also the £4.5bn that the EU spends in the UK.

Let's say that the priority is the deficit. So what. We can retain the £4.5bn of spending, add another £4.5bn from the £8.5bn and still have £4bn left over to reduce the deficit.

You're assuming a constant GDP post-Brexit. I'm not. It will fall off a cliff for at least 2 years.
There's already a lot of redistribution from south to north in the UK, so I don't share your scepticism.
Look at what happened to graphene.

That's what UK Plc can look forward to post-Brexit.

You're assuming a constant GDP post-Brexit. I'm not. It will fall off a cliff for at least 2 years.Look at what happened to graphene.

I'm not sure how detaching ourselves from a trading bloc with a staggering youth unemployment crisis, an overwhelming migrant crisis, a seemingly endless currency crisis , a highly protectionist attitude toward trade with the rest of the world and an obsession with wrapping itself in red tape is going to hurt our growth. Especially as all of these problems could have been avoided.

No, I think that's a pragmatic business case for the British taxpayer.

Now, I'm in good health (touching wood) and have a private healthcare package through work, and am a high rate taxpayer positively surrounded at home by NHS middle management paper pushers on stratospheric pay/perk deals (and I frequently have cause to wonder when do all these actually go to work)...so, in or out of the EU, I don't have any problem at all to "save poor countries" by downscaling the NHS and its budget.

But then, since I am mindful of the short- and medium-term consequences to blocking entry to/chucking out medically-trained furreiners, I don't mind keeping up my tax contributions as they are, and the current status quo with the NHS and its cohort of furreiners either.

How about you? :twisted:

Indeed.

I'd leave the EU and cut immigration significantly, some of the money saved after leaving the EU would be used to fund the training of doctors and nurses, NHS planning would be made easier because there wouldn't be a massive influx of new people every year. Places like India would be better off because they would find it easier to keep the doctors they train.

Taken down to it's most basic level, aren't economics just a matter of confidence? Once we subscribe to an uncertain future that confidence would very quickly disappear.

Confidence is important in economics but it's a long way short of being the whole game. Thee is at least as much uncertainty arising from remaining in the EU.

I'm not sure how detaching ourselves from a trading bloc with a staggering youth unemployment crisis, an overwhelming migrant crisis, a seemingly endless currency crisis , a highly protectionist attitude toward trade with the rest of the world and an obsession with wrapping itself in red tape is going to hurt our growth. Especially as all of these problems could have been avoided.
I'm keenly aware of the youth unemployment and migrant crises (both of which are serious, neither of which is 'overwhelming' or 'staggering') but not of a currency crisis ('seemingly endless' or otherwise), nor of a protectionist attitude toward trade with the rest of the world (highly or otherwise) so perhaps you can enlighten me about these last 2?

As for the 'obsession with wrapping itself in red tape', that certainly is good grounds for debate, since I've never run into any that ran contrary to my interests [as an average EU citizen with average needs/consumption patterns/etc.], nor heard any of my clients (mostly tech SMEs, with a sizeable side-order of small to medium retailers/traders/import-exporters) moan about any. I'm all ears :)

As a matter of operating principle, I'd readily acknowledge a gradual replacement of domestic red tape with harmonised red tape (:D), but surely that's a good thing, meaning businesses the length and breadth of the EU are put on a foot of equality faced with the same 'red tape', so none is disadvantaged when trading in any EU member state?

Edited by L00b

Taken down to it's most basic level, aren't economics just a matter of confidence? Once we subscribe to an uncertain future that confidence would very quickly disappear.

yes the financial markets run on confidence. But if you think the EU will save us from further downgrades and recession you are in dreamland.

yes the financial markets run on confidence. But if you think the EU will save us from further downgrades and recession you are in dreamland.

How would leaving the EU improve our chances of avoiding recession? Genuine question...

Confidence is important in economics but it's a long way short of being the whole game. Thee is at least as much uncertainty arising from remaining in the EU.

Some sense at at last. Sometimes reading these posts is like purgatory.:hihi:

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 15:25 ----------

How would leaving the EU improve our chances of avoiding recession? Genuine question...

it probably wouldnt. But cast your mind back to 2008. Which country dodged the global financial crisis best?

clue: it's an island and not attached indefinitely to any one trading bloc.

Some sense at at last. Sometimes reading these posts is like purgatory.:hihi:[/Quote]

Sense? By going in against every single economic body's assessment of the situation, including the OFS?

it probably wouldnt. But cast your mind back to 2008. Which country dodged the global financial crisis best?

clue: it's an island and not attached indefinitely to any one trading bloc.

The best dodgers were... No, can't work it out, unless you are talking about Britain which didn't dodge anything, it just cut its cloth accordingly and is still increasing its sovereign debt, whilst the Eurozone has now turned the tide and has begun to pay it back. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/tgm/table.do?tab=table&init=1&language=en&pcode=teina225&plugin=1

Don't hear about that in the news here, do you?