EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Try me, back it up. I am a scientist, I love evidence!

Right off the bat I know two people that walked into medicine within the last 20 years. Both are as English as tea.

So as a scientist it seems you are unable to use Google,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/11689202/NHS-spends-huge-sums-on-foreign-nurses-yet-two-thirds-of-local-applicants-are-rejected.html

If I backed it up you wouldn't accept it, its been reported many times over the past 20 years and I know form first hand experience that some young people can't and couldn't get on nursing courses despite meeting the entry requirements.

You've never backed a car up, let alone a claim on this forum.

Migration is one of the reasons our government doesn't have to plan, they can simply poach the trained people they need from other parts of the world, I don't blame the migrants I blame the government.

From the world, as you are aware, a huge number of migrants working for the NHS come from other parts of the world and not just the EU. What makes you think leaving the EU is going to make the government sort out its issues and how do you know that if it did sort out its own issues, it would not bring migration down naturally?

I have explained a tonne of times - migrants come here to work, there are vacancies and their skills are in demand.

Try me, back it up. I am a scientist, I love evidence!

Right off the bat I know two people that walked into medicine within the last 20 years. Both are as English as tea.

Its amazing how many on here claim to be scientists.

And I know several that couldn't find a place on the course.

These aren't the ones I know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33692001/nursing-why-the-uk-has-so-many-foreign-nurses

Dani Ella Wynn, 18, from Wigan, applied to six universities to study nursing and midwifery and was rejected from every one.

"I'm only 18," she said. "I've always wanted to be a nurse and tried to get as much experience as I could. I've taken four A-levels but still no place."

Jamie Spencer, 27, is a healthcare support worker.

"I've got an NVQ [level] 2 and [level] 3 in health and social care and I've had a number of work experience [placements] in a hospital," says Jamie

"I do find it frustrating when foreign nurses come over and start nursing when there are people in the UK that want to do nursing but can't.

"It's because they [people from UK] don't get a chance to go to university and do the training.

Nurse training places have been slashed by more than 2,500 in three years, an investigation by Nursing Times has revealed – prompting fears of a “national disaster” in care.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/exclusive-disaster-warning-follows-12-drop-in-nurse-training-places/5049433.fullarticle

NHS spends huge sums on foreign nurses, yet two thirds of local applicants are rejected.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/11689202/NHS-spends-huge-sums-on-foreign-nurses-yet-two-thirds-of-local-applicants-are-rejected.html

Cuts in training places lead to fall in numbers of ‘homegrown’ staff, Nursing and Midwifery Council figures show.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/04/nhs-recruits-one-in-four-nurses-from-abroad

80,000 UK students are told they can't train as a nurse: Thousands can't get on courses despite four in five new NHS workers being foreign

Thanks for that!

I confess I have never been in the Robin Hood, I was far too young at the time but my memory of the experience of seeing my first black person remains with me. I was with my mother on a visit to my grandmother who lived on Earsham street but you obviously know better.

I will apologise for calling you a liar,

but what i will say is that you were mistaken.

i used to knock around with the landlords/ladys son in the fifties and go inside the R.H on a regular basis.

any one els reading this the landlords initials were B.W his wife was Italian. name? sons name Mick.W

i have to have my siesta know, i am getting old:gag:

From the world, as you are aware, a huge number of migrants working for the NHS come from other parts of the world and not just the EU. What makes you think leaving the EU is going to make the government sort out its issues and how do you know that if it did sort out its own issues, it would not bring migration down naturally?

I have explained a tonne of times - migrants come here to work, there are vacancies and their skills are in demand.

I know why they come, and I don't blame them for coming, I blame our government for encouraging it instead of making sure everyone in the UK is given the opportunity and incentives to get a job.

Who said all 54,000 were nurses?

I don't define a scientist as someone who can use Google. Interesting that you do. Why don't you Google some advantages of the EU whilst you have a tab open.

Edited by Shef1985

Who said all 54,000 were nurses?

I don't define a scientist as someone who can use Google. Interesting that you do. Why don't you Google some advantages of the EU whilst you have a tab open.

Why don't you, as someone with a scientific mind it should be easy, here's a start,

Google, if you can't find it try Bing.

I would define a scientist as someone who had the brains to use a search engine.

Why don't you, as someone with a scientific mind it should be easy, here's a start,

Google, if you can't find it try Bing.

I would define a scientist as someone who had the brains to use a search engine.

Eh? What do you want me to Google? EU nationals do not benefit the NHS? I can Google it but I cannot use it to prove a negative.

Sutty27's point has been discussed above already with another user. I never said all 54,000 were nurses.

I'm sorry I fail to reach your expectations of a scientist retep!!

I know why they come, and I don't blame them for coming, I blame our government for encouraging it instead of making sure everyone in the UK is given the opportunity and incentives to get a job.

I blame our government for the number of migrants in the NHS as well, and as I have stated in at least 200 of my 10000+ posts, leaving the EU is not going to stop that. It is the UK government that needs sorting out, blaming the EU for the shortcomings of the UK democratic system is the easy way out.

We've had endless bloodcurdling threats about what economic risks we run if we leave the EU, but virtually nothing about the risks if we stay.

So as we all like a bit of balance, here's how things are looking in Italy right now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/28/italys-broken-banks-show-the-dangers-behind-the-euro/?ref=yfp

Have we got the Euro here? Wasn't aware of that? In the mean-time I offer you this overwhelming evidence that the economy will suffer upon Brexit.

What I particularly like about that article is that it eradicates the often heard argument in this thread from Brexiters when faced with evidence that the economy is likely to suffer: 'You can find economists saying whatever you want them to say'.

You can, but from now at least there is a significant study that backs the Remain argument for the economy.

Now all we need is the Remain camp to wake-up and undercut Cameron by stating unequivocally that Brexit will only reduce migration if the economy suffers and then spelling out what a suffering economy actually means.

Let's begin with the following two notions:

The UK is still heavily indebted, is still borrowing to meet its expenses and thus will have to cut public spending even further.

The tax-income as predicted now will drop if the economy suffers, a 1% drop in tax revenue for Georgie means that the 350 million a week claim will instantly become even more laughable because all of a sudden the country is losing that each week in lost tax revenue.