EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

The fundamental cause of xenophobia is always prejudice.

Prejudice exists in most people. The trick is showing them that treating people who seem different as decent and equal is good for them and those they hold near and dear.

---------- Post added 01-06-2016 at 13:36 ----------

That is what worries me. Some will watch Brexit The Movie (and shout nonce at Ted Heath, to the amusement of all present) and not even begin to question it. They will then go and vote leave.

Or when the opportunity arises to try and persuade otherwise they shout liar and walk away.

I feel embarrassed to have such people on my side of this matter. But that won't factor into my decision on which way to vote.

I don't hesitate to criticise them though, even though by doing so I suppose I hurt the Brexit cause.

Very few people are xenophobic, but there are plenty of bigoted people willing to call someone xenophobic.

Considering that Leave has now begun to focus its energies on the immigration issue which has seen their popularity increase I think it is entirely naïve to suggest very few people are xenophobic.

Considering that Leave has now begun to focus its energies on the immigration issue which has seen their popularity increase I think it is entirely naïve to suggest very few people are xenophobic.

It is not automatically xenophobic to assert that net migration is higher than is desirable.

For example the state is struggling to keep up with the provision of housing and basic public services in areas where a lot of immigrants have ended up.

This doesn't affect people like me in suburban areas, which is probably why I don't tend to focus on it, but if your status us such that you're more dependent on state support it's only natural that you resent that limited support being stretched even thinner than usual.

Edited by unbeliever

Its not xenophobic to want immigration under control, its not even xenophobic to want immigration stopped altogether, unless the reasons are a dislike of foreigners. So how many people have told you they want to stop immigration because they don't like foreigners. My guess would be none, there are lots of sensible reason for wanting controlled immigration, and there can't be more than an handful of people that want it stopped because they don't like foreigners.

It is not automatically xenophobic to assert that net migration is higher than is desirable.

For example the state is struggling to keep up with the provision of housing and basic public services in areas where a lot of immigrants have ended up.

This doesn't affect people like me in suburban areas, which is probably why I don't tend to focus on it, but if you're status us such that you're more dependent on state support it's only natural that you resent that limited support being stretched even thinner than usual.

I never suggested it was.

Do you not agree people like Nigel Farage play up to people's xenophobia?

I never suggested it was.

Do you not agree people like Nigel Farage play up to people's xenophobia?

I've heard statements from him that are hard to take as anything else. In general though I find that he tends to stick to the pragmatic arguments. I filter.

I take equal offence at prejudice and false accusations of prejudice.

Its not xenophobic to want immigration under control, its not even xenophobic to want immigration stopped altogether, unless the reasons are a dislike of foreigners. So how many people have told you they want to stop immigration because they don't like foreigners. My guess would be none, there are lots of sensible reason for wanting controlled immigration, and there can't be more than an handful of people that want it stopped because they don't like foreigners.

I never said it was! I said it was naïve to suggest xenophobia plays little part in the reasoning of few Brexiters.

Your guess would be wrong. It depends very much on what 'type' of foreigner!

No, he fights for peoples genuine concerns.

He does both.

He's not the sort of person I want in political office.

I'm more of a Liam Fox, John Redwood fan.

Edited by unbeliever