EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Yes, but if we stay in the EU, the sky will fall, on the other have if we leave the seas will boil.

Random unattributed anecdotes add nothing to this debate in my view.

I could just as easily say that I know a company which will move here once we escape the endless EU red tape.

The difference is, I think we move in different circles :)

Yes, but if we stay in the EU, the sky will fall, on the other have if we leave the seas will boil.

Random unattributed anecdotes add nothing to this debate in my view.

I could just as easily say that I know a company which will move here once we escape the endless EU red tape.

Go on then, then it's one all. Which company will leave the EU to set up in the UK? Will they be allowed to, by us, post Brexit? What if the CEO doesn't have enough immigration points?

Go on then, then it's one all. Which company will leave the EU to set up in the UK? Will they be allowed to, by us, post Brexit? What if the CEO doesn't have enough immigration points?

You first. I was responding to the assertion that a company would leave taking thousands of jobs.

Watched Merkel on the news saying how it is better to be in the room to influence decisions and get what we want.

Funny I think dave was in the room during his renegotiation and got sod all except for some very minor concessions which they tried to dress up as some great achievement.

Anybody would think a little bit of panic is setting in.

Three weeks tomorrow and its all over glad to say.

Withdrawn what I put. If you saw it whilst it was there that is ok. There are reasons.

Edited by MobileB

Was a rather significant misquote actually.

Still that was then, and Lamont is a Brexiter so...vote Remain to protect jobs in the North. By your own logic.

No, not a misquote as it turns out, right quote, wrong man, not a minister, the ex governor of the bank of England, Eddie George.

And by your logic, I'm wrong, as you point out, his quote refer to the whole of Britain and not just the North so remain won't protect jobs here after all. :)

Shef it was quite interesting reading until I got to the bit about flying being reserved for the elite, that just made me think what a load of crap.

I was flying on foreign holidays with my family paid for by my dad prior to the eu. My dad drove buses in Sheffield, hardly an elite job what.

Withdrawn what I put. If you saw it whilst it was there that is ok. There are reasons and I don't want to risk my own employment!

Ok....can you guarantee they will be allowed to set up here though, post Brexit?

Will they want to rehire all their staff in the UK or demand we take their current workforce? What if we refuse because they don't match out immigration criteria?

---------- Post added 02-06-2016 at 19:11 ----------

No, not a misquote as it turns out, right quote, wrong man, not a minister, the ex governor of the bank of England, Eddie George.

And by your logic, I'm wrong, as you point out, his quote refer to the whole of Britain and not just the North so remain won't protect jobs here after all. :)

Please can you reference the quote?

---------- Post added 02-06-2016 at 19:13 ----------

Shef it was quite interesting reading until I got to the bit about flying being reserved for the elite, that just made me think what a load of crap.

I was flying on foreign holidays with my family paid for by my dad prior to the eu. My dad drove buses in Sheffield, hardly an elite job what.

Fair enough, I was only interested in the survey of the Brit and German companies.

Ok....can you guarantee they will be allowed to set up here though, post Brexit?

Will they want to rehire all their staff in the UK or demand we take their current workforce? What if we refuse because they don't match out immigration criteria?

I think it's fair to say, at the moment it is not easy to move business from one country to another in the EU where existing staff are in place carrying out a contract. Daft as what that sounds, TUPE does apply across EU. Therefore if your company in Sheffield decided to move to the south of France, if you fancied it you could move on existing conditions within employment Law in France. Remember, it is where the work is located not the company so your company could be working in Sheffield but based in the Bahamas. TUPE would apply.

However, once out of the EU, they are no longer bound by TUPE for inter-country moves so they could move your work to, say, Poland, where the labour costs would be cheaper and the movement of capital, because it is within the EU and the work involves the EU, easier. All they would need to do is make you redundant and start up the business in Poland. You will get 45 days consultation, notice and redundancy pay (which will invariably be statutory amounts). No protected right because your job has gone to Poland.

Think that makes sense. TUPE is very complicated - believe me I work with it virtually every day!