EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

The proposal was for 60000 troops, 400 tanks and 100 warships to operate under the command of the eu. In 2010 the headline goal for creation of the rapid reaction force expired, that may be why the germans are putting it forward again but full details not to be released until discussed after next eu head of state meeting.

Ahhhhh....isn't the British Army 100,000 strong? I had visions of every soldier in Europe (incl. the carabinieri and similar paramilitaries??) all under one command. With matching uniforms and everything.

Meh.

The EU doesn't have central authority over us, in any meaningful way.

What you really mean I guess is you don't like the extent to which we participate in shared decision making. Fair enough and I agree to a large extent but there is no need to use such dramatic language.

Once people start talking about being under the yoke of a superstrate the argument can quickly be picked apart. The irony is that the referendum is the clearest possible indicator that the sovereignty we are supposed to have lost actually hasn't been lost. If it had been lost them surely the EU would be exercising its 'central authority' over us right now to block the referendum!

I think you're putting words into my mouth there.

I didn't say that the EU constitutes a super-state now. I said that it will become one. At least that's what I meant to say.

We still have sovereignty yes, but for the most part we agree not to exercise it.

We can exercise it once on the 23rd, and after that we'll be exercising it routinely.

No that was the first proposal.

If they are taken away from national commands then the eu can deploy them without going through parliaments of other countries, remember dave lost the vote on bombing libya.

The UK commitment was proposed to be 12000, remember we are one of only two military powers so us and france would give the largest share particularly of ships etc.

This was also just a rapid reaction force, it did not go far enough to say wether the 60000 troops were fighting troops, which if they were would need double in logistic troops to support them.

As a first step for the eu it was not bad.

I think you're putting words into my mouth there.

I didn't say that the EU constitutes a super-state now. I said that it will become one. At least that's what I meant to say.

We still have sovereignty yes, but for the most part we agree not to exercise it.

We can exercise it once on the 23rd, and after that we'll be exercising it routinely.

Regardless if we vote in or out...

Regardless if we vote in or out...

I don't know what this means.

By being members of the EU we agree on various matters not to exercise our sovereignty. Technically we still have sovereignty on these matters but we can't exercise it without violating the terms of our membership.

When we leave the EU we shall both have our sovereignty and the freedom to exercise it.

There are about as many Britons living in other EU countries as EU migrants in the UK. So, if you want EU migrants to leave, you'll end up with just as many people being sent back to the UK.

So the UK population is increasing, decade after decade, and its all down to people living longer :loopy:

There are around 1.2 million British born people living in another EU country, according to figures provided by the UN. Around 800,000 will be workers and their dependants. This is much less than the estimated 3.3 million people born in another EU country who now live in the UK, of which 2.1 million are working.

I don't know what this means.

By being members of the EU we agree on various matters not to exercise our sovereignty. Technically we still have sovereignty on these matters but we can't exercise it without violating the terms of our membership.

When we leave the EU we shall both have our sovereignty and the freedom to exercise it.

Technically we have it but we can't exercise it sounds like fundamentally we don't have it. Is that what you mean? Your sentence reads quite oddly and frankly it is the kind of English up with which I will not put :)

I mean by my comment, whether we vote to remain or leave, the UK will continue to be a democratic and sovereign state.

Edited by Shef1985

The proposal was for 60000 troops, 400 tanks and 100 warships to operate under the command of the eu. In 2010 the headline goal for creation of the rapid reaction force expired, that may be why the germans are putting it forward again but full details not to be released until discussed after next eu head of state meeting.

So it seems like it's just a proposal for a collective defence rather than an amalgamation of the the EU countries defences.