EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Nixon I understand and believe what you are saying but its 40 years since the last vote. There has been plenty of times where no doubt people have wanted a vote but did not get one.

Cannot see another referendum in the future if we vote to stay in and no govt will just take us out because thats where politicians go after they finish here, which is no doubt where dave is heading if he keeps us in.

We have that choice now. And we will still have it if we vote to remain.

I'm not remotely drunk, but I seem to be having trouble understanding my opponents this evening.

Are you saying that we can remain in the EU and still change our laws such that they are in conflict with EU directives?

---------- Post added 02-06-2016 at 22:38 ----------

We don't need to regain sovereignty. We never lost it.

Its really simple.

I've just double-checked and it's definitely coke zero I'm drinking and it doesn't smell spiked.

A sovereign nation is free to make all its own laws.

Now you've lost me.

What case are you trying to make?

Is it your position that it doesn't matter about areas of law that we're not free to change because you don't deem them important?

---------- Post added 02-06-2016 at 22:33 ----------

That makes no sense at all. How can the Brexit supporters be unaware that we can leave the EU, and therefore regain full sovereignty, when their whole purpose is to persuade us to do exactly that?

No it's my position that whilst you might not like certain EU laws the examples you have given are business related and it's all very well and good for us to be able to rewrite those laws when we Brexit but its no advantage to the businesses that Brexit has destroyed.

That makes no sense at all. How can the Brexit supporters be unaware that we can leave the EU, and therefore regain full sovereignty, when their whole purpose is to persuade us to do exactly that?

I agree it does make no sense and that's the point I'm making, but it doesn't stop some Brexit supporters going on about this being the last chance to save our country.

No it's my position that whilst you might not like certain EU laws the examples you have given are business related and it's all very well and good for us to be able to rewrite those laws when we Brexit but its no advantage to the businesses that Brexit has destroyed.

Right. So we have to choose between sovereignty and the supposed prosperity arising from EU membership.

Thank you.

Could you please explain this to I1L2T3.

Nixon I understand and believe what you are saying but its 40 years since the last vote. There has been plenty of times where no doubt people have wanted a vote but did not get one.

Cannot see another referendum in the future if we vote to stay in and no govt will just take us out because thats where politicians go after they finish here, which is no doubt where dave is heading if he keeps us in.

If the EU changes it's current stance and insists on much closer integration, I'm sure that we'll have another referendum on whatever treaty that puts forward that suggestion.

I agree it does make no sense and that's the point I'm making, but it doesn't stop some Brexit supporters going on about this being the last chance to save our country.

It's been over 40 years since the matter was last put to the people. Although I suppose we can always elect a government which has Brexit in their manifesto.

---------- Post added 02-06-2016 at 22:43 ----------

If the EU changes it's current stance and insists on much closer integration, I'm sure that we'll have another referendum on whatever treaty that puts forward that suggestion.

Right. Like we had on the Lisbon treaty. Oh wait.

It's been over 40 years since the matter was last put to the people. Although I suppose we can always elect a government which has Brexit in their manifesto.

It's the first time that a EU skeptic party has garnered so many votes, so it was inevitable that there was going to be a vote on the issue.

Whichever way the vote goes we are heading for another referendum in < 5 years IMO.

I think the result will be to remain and it could be closer than people think and it will fuel call for Brexit, not end it. I then expect Cameron's opt-out to be written into a treaty pretty quickly. The opt-out will then be tested week on week, as every new piece of EU law is scrutinised by the UK parliament for evidence of the closer integration we have specifically opted out of.

Either the opt-out will prove to have real value and will be backed by scrutiny in the UK, greatly reducing the amount of new EU law we adopt.

Or

The opt-out will be worthless, in which case we will need to demand another referendum because a cornerstone of the remain campaign will be proven worthless.

I can't see how either scenario is a terrible result for the Brexiters really, especially if a long game is being played.

Right. Like we had on the Lisbon treaty. Oh wait.

So how has the Lisbon Treaty changed your life? My point being, I don't believe that the Lisbon Treaty pushed our country into a lot closer integration.

Edited by JFKvsNixon