EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

The average wage in Bulgaria is €333 per month whilst in Sweden it is €2690 per month.

The average pint of beer in Bulgaria is €0.91 whilst in Sweden it is €5.90.

By my calculation the pint in Bulgraria relatively speaking is 0.8% more expensive than in Sweden.

Not sure what the relevance is (other than Swedes could get very drunk very cheaply in Bulgaria).

*Luxembourg has the highest average wage in the EU at €3,198 per month but I couldn't find the average price of a pint in Luxembourg so they were excluded due to their inability to compete fairly.

Pity you can't live in a pint glass isn't it? :cool:

Only 7% of our companies trade with the EU.
So 7% of UK companies do 45% of the UK's export trade?

:o

Jaysus.

I also strongly suspect that we will do a better job of arranging simple free trade deals that the EU.
I don't know about a 'better job' (my direct experience of public sector negotiators is, erm...how to put this diplomatically? 'arresting' :D), but the deals would certainly be simpler, since they wouldn't involve 27 other lots of national interests. That's a given :)

So 7% of UK companies do 45% of the UK's export trade?

Yes. Is that confusing?

---------- Post added 03-06-2016 at 14:03 ----------

Most of our trade is internal, so it stands to reason that most of our companies only trade in the UK.

And even many of those who do trade internationally do not trade with the EU.

---------- Post added 03-06-2016 at 14:33 ----------

I don't know about a 'better job' (my direct experience of public sector negotiators is, erm...how to put this diplomatically? 'arresting' :D), but the deals would certainly be simpler, since they wouldn't involve 27 other lots of national interests. That's a given :)

I'm with you on the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of the UK public sector.

Strange as it may seem, the EU public sector has shown itself to be even worse.

Yes. Is that confusing?[/Quote]No. It's extremely surprising, considering the strong historical bias of the UK economy for international trading. If anything, it's disappointing. All the same, if that percentage is shrinking, I can see a stronger pro-Brexit case.

I'm with you on the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of the UK public sector. Strange as it may seem, the EU public sector has shown itself to be even worse.
Not in my experience.

The EUIPO is a model of workload process streamlining and scaling, cost efficiency and cost management, to the extent of recently reducing official fees, rather than increasing them like all other IP offices. All the more surprising that it is located in Spain, not in paragon-of-efficiency Germany.

The same can't be said of the (non-EU) European Patent Office, regrettably. Which, paradox of all paradoxes, is located (mostly) in Germany :hihi:

Still, both of them put the US PTO, the Chinese PTO and most other national IP offices to shame, by orders of magnitude. And don't get me started on the Indian PTO and most South American PTOs!

Fair is fair, the UK IPO is also extremely good. One of the very few proactively (and extremely well-) managed British public sector units, that has so far managed to avoid political interference and ruination by staying under the political radar ;)

Edited by L00b

No. It's extremely surprising, considering the strong bias of the UK economy for international trading.

You can see then why one might reasonably suspect that the benefits to the 93% of being released from the EU regulatory regime into a less burdensome regime, might outweigh potential complications in trade with the EU.

You can see then why one might reasonably suspect that the benefits to the 93% of being released from the EU regulatory regime into a less burdensome regime, might outweigh potential complications in trade with the EU.
As a quantitative point, yes. Per my 'stronger pro-Brexit case' edit above.

But you'd have to define what you call "a less burdensome regime" first, before I can provide a qualitative judgement.

E.g. if that "less burdensome regime" at home includes the government and its Parliamentary majority taking an axe to most labour laws, health & safety laws and safety standards derived from EU Directives in the past 2 decades and a bit, well...enjoy your newly-rediscovered serfdom, is all I'll say. I don't expect Germans would have to fight Brits for sun loungers much anymore :hihi:

Edited by L00b

No. It's extremely surprising, considering the strong historical bias of the UK economy for international trading. If anything, it's disappointing. All the same, if that percentage is shrinking, I can see a stronger pro-Brexit case.

Not in my experience.

The EUIPO is a model of workload process streamlining and scaling, cost efficiency and cost management, to the extent of recently reducing official fees, rather than increasing them like all other IP offices. All the more surprising that it is located in Spain, not in paragon-of-efficiency Germany.

The same can't be said of the (non-EU) European Patent Office, regrettably. Which, paradox of all paradoxes, is located (mostly) in Germany :hihi:

Still, both of them put the US PTO, the Chinese PTO and most other national IP offices to shame, by orders of magnitude. And don't get me started on the Indian PTO and most South American PTOs!

Fair is fair, the UK IPO is also extremely good. One of the very few proactively (and extremely well-) managed British public sector units, that has so far managed to avoid political interference and ruination by staying under the political radar ;)

This from the BBC,

Reality Check: How many UK businesses trade with the EU?

In recent days, we've seen two claims from opposite sides of the EU referendum debate about how many UK businesses trade with the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36029211

As a quantitative point, yes. Per my 'stronger pro-Brexit case' edit above.

But you'd have to define what you call "a less burdensome regime" first, before I can provide a qualitative judgement.

E.g. if that "less burdensome regime" at home includes the government and its Parliamentary majority taking an axe to most labour laws derived from EU Directives in the past 2 decades and a bit, well...enjoy your newly-rediscovered serfdom, is all I'll say :hihi:

I suggest that those who like EU labour laws, don't vote for a party who proposes to remove them. Those who dislike those laws can vote the other way.

Vox populi vox Dei.

By the way. From the context, I think you have qualitative and quantitative mixed up.

Edited by unbeliever

I suggest that those who like EU labour laws, don't vote for a party who proposes to remove them. Those who dislike those laws can vote the other way.

Vox populi vox Dei.

Fair enough with that.

By the way. From the context, I think you have qualitative and quantitative mixed up.
I used 'quantitative' in relation to your percentages and differentials, and 'qualitative' in relation to the characteristics of your "less burdensome regime", so that looks OK to me :confused: