EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

I used 'quantitative' in relation to your percentages and differentials, and 'qualitative' in relation to the characteristics of your "less burdensome regime", so that looks OK to me :confused:

Ah. Then I misunderstood your post slightly. Thanks for clarifying.

---------- Post added 03-06-2016 at 15:53 ----------

Still un-decided.

What's your thinking?

Perhaps between us (the remain and leave posters) we can help you decide.

I suggest that those who like EU labour laws, don't vote for a party who proposes to remove them. Those who dislike those laws can vote the other way.

Vox populi vox Dei.

By the way. From the context, I think you have qualitative and quantitative mixed up.

I don't think any Government would remove based rights (such as holidays etc.) but I doubt many will be as forthcoming in introducing new rights. It took from 1936 ish to 1978 to increase it so that we actually were allowed 8 days holiday instead of 7 on the statue. It was the EWD that took that up to 20 days in 1997 - both Conservative and Labour Governments opposed this (and a subsequent Labour Government took it to 28 days which is more than the EWD).

There would have been issues, for in stance with the recent Bear Lock cases if we were not in the EU. These were EU directives that have given additional worker rights (although the UK Government did implement legislation to lessen the impact for UK workers).

I don't think any Government would remove based rights (such as holidays etc.) but I doubt many will be as forthcoming in introducing new rights. It took from 1936 ish to 1978 to increase it so that we actually were allowed 8 days holiday instead of 7 on the statue. It was the EWD that took that up to 20 days in 1997 - both Conservative and Labour Governments opposed this (and a subsequent Labour Government took it to 28 days which is more than the EWD).

There would have been issues, for in stance with the recent Bear Lock cases if we were not in the EU. These were EU directives that have given additional worker rights (although the UK Government did implement legislation to lessen the impact for UK workers).

On the other hand the UK has far more generous maternity leave than the EU in general. So it seems to me that we may in fact be leading the way in some areas of such matters.

Loob I bow to your obvious business acumen and in depth understanding of eu treaties/ working etc. I also fully understand that the eu will want to punish us as harshly as possible to deter further eu exits.

But can they deter further eu exits. This referendum is being closely watched by a number of countries who have growing anti eu parties and anti eu populations. Should the result be Brexit, and your knowledge of eu countries might enable you to answer this, would some of these govts that are coalitions or seeing the rise of parties that might overturn them at upcoming elections offer a referendum.

My thinking is these countries will think that they could set up a common market with the U.K., piggy back the UK in trade agreements with the rest of the world.

Obviously events within Europe may assist this, Erdogan is well mardy at the moment so may throw the med open to immigrants again, there is still concern over the future stability of Greece in particular and the euro zone in general. There is high unemployment, particularly youth, which a lot blame on the ru for various reasons.

Obviously as we will take 2 years to leave the eu then such countries could organise a referendum within 6 months and give notice to leave st the same time as the UK, it's up to 2 years but can be shorter. They could then form a bargaining block with ourselves.

I value your thoughts on this please.

But can they deter further eu exits. This referendum is being closely watched by a number of countries who have growing anti eu parties and anti eu populations. Should the result be Brexit, and your knowledge of eu countries might enable you to answer this, would some of these govts that are coalitions or seeing the rise of parties that might overturn them at upcoming elections offer a referendum.

Whilst you have a reasonably point about the rise of the harder right, in the 'main' continental EU member states, quite unlike the UK, this is not so much directed against the EU itself and Euroscepticism is far less deep-rooted: much of the anti-immigrant sentiment is directed against immigrants 'period', and the Schengen component of the EU - not the EU itself (Germany is taking the brunt of the blame, rightly so).

The UK's general anti-immigrant feel goes back to the days of the Polish/Czech/etc. full accession, the Roma and Bulgarians were just the proverbial cherry on the cake. In that context, many EU countries did put a block on 'new EU citizens' when the UK didn't, so eastern European immigration is still relatively fresh/benign for them compared to the UK...and nowhere near as voluminous in absolute terms, since they're not exactly beacons of growth and prosperity like the UK.

The general sentiment [and here I'm looking at the 'baseline' like on e.g. Sheffield Forum, i.e. in French and Germans forums and newspaper website comments sections] in most 'core' EU countries (France, Germany, Benelux, Spain and Italy) is that they have had about enough of the UK's moaning and bitching and braking on all 4s about the EU and always wanting its cake and eating it, and would gladly see the UK exit so that they can just be getting on with the further integration they want.

Unpalatable as it may be for you and anyone else to hear :|

Should the result be Brexit, and your knowledge of eu countries might enable you to answer this, would some of these govts that are coalitions or seeing the rise of parties that might overturn them at upcoming elections offer a referendum.

My thinking is these countries will think that they could set up a common market with the U.K., piggy back the UK in trade agreements with the rest of the world.

Orban didn't offer that, he just ran a referendum about immigrants quota. And he's as harder right a populist as they come, short of the Greek Golden Dawn, with a very comfortable popular mandate .

As far as I recall the Dutch, the Danes and Iceland (poised for full EU membership again) would certainly like to join the UK in the UK's new "slow lane", but within the EU. I've said it before, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Greece 'eased' into that slow lane as well over the medium-term. But they all know which side their bread's buttered. Even the populists.

Edited by L00b

Thanks appreciated.

---------- Post added 03-06-2016 at 17:13 ----------

I appreciate Orban and the other eastern countries would not leave the cash cow but I was thinking more of the western nations although not Germany or France obviously.