EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

I didn't say it was. I was bemoaning the low quality of the official Brexit campaign which has drowned out some solid left wing Brexit arguments, many of which I agree with.

I'd be interested to hear them.

The problem for the "left" is the same as the problem for everybody else as far as I can see. Which is that many policies which they might like to pursue are not permitted.

Perhaps part of the problem is also that the notional "left" i.e. Labour, are playing some sort of game and not speaking out.

What's Corbyn up to? Why is it left to a few people like Frank Field to make the "left" case for Brexit?

I'd be interested to hear them.

The problem for the "left" is the same as the problem for everybody else as far as I can see. Which is that many policies which they might like to pursue are not permitted.

Perhaps part of the problem is also that the notional "left" i.e. Labour, are playing some sort of game and not speaking out.

What's Corbyn up to? Why is it left to a few people like Frank Field to make the "left" case for Brexit?

One of the key arguments from the unions for example is that the EU is pro-austerity, pro-privatisation and also does not act in the best interests of workers. We don't see it so much here but youth unemployment in some countries is approaching 50%.

One of the key arguments from the unions for example is that the EU is pro-austerity, pro-privatisation and also does not act in the best interests of workers. We don't see it so much here but youth unemployment in some countries is approaching 50%.

That's the bit I don't get from the stay camp, they claim that the EU gives us economic prosperity and creates jobs but across the EU unemployment is high especially youth unemployment, in the UK youth unemployment is 13.7%.

Youth Unemployment Rate by country.

Note that EU countries have some of the worst youth unemployment.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/country-list/youth-unemployment-rate

Edited by sutty27

That's the bit I don't get from the stay camp, they claim that the EU gives us economic prosperity and creates jobs but across the EU unemployment is high especially youth unemployment, in the UK youth unemployment is 13.7%.

What laws do you think that the EU should bring in to help that, or should they leave the issue to the regional Governments?

A key factor in the UK, would be where the UK Government sets the minimum wage.

The UK minimum wage is high by EU standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

Yet we have low unemployment by EU standards.

---------- Post added 04-06-2016 at 09:47 ----------

What laws do you think that the EU should bring in to help that, or should they leave the issue to the regional Governments?

Repealing some laws would probably help more.

I think the UK government should worry about it here and let the rest of the EU sort out their own problems.

The UK minimum wage is high by EU standards.

Yet we have low unemployment by EU standards.

Repealing some laws would probably help more.

But you seem to be saying that the UK does not have a problem.

Which laws?

But you seem to be saying that the UK does not have a problem.

Which laws?

Easy hire and fire would make a big difference. As would minimising the taxes and paperwork associated with employing somebody. There are of course down sides to this for the workforce. Sometimes employability runs against job security.

There are 2 general approaches to increasing employment.

The "left" tend to create work, by employing people in the public sector. The EU being against nationalisation (pro privatisation) make this very difficult.

The "right" tend to deregulate to make businesses more efficient and grow the private sector. The EU make this extremely difficult.

Being outside the Eurozone, we get get away with a little bit more of the "right" approach and as a result we've seen a drop in employment since 2010.

I think that if we stay in the EU, and you manage to get Corbyn or somebody similar into office at No. 10; you'll be extremely disappointed by how little gets done from your shared ideology.