EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

I think that if we stay in the EU, and you manage to get Corbyn or somebody similar into office at No. 10; you'll be extremely disappointed by how little gets done from your shared ideology.

And the odds of that happening are quite slim ;)

Easy hire and fire would make a big difference. As would minimising the taxes and paperwork associated with employing somebody. There are of course down sides to this for the workforce. Sometimes employability runs against job security.

There are 2 general approaches to increasing employment.

The "left" tend to create work, by employing people in the public sector. The EU being against nationalisation (pro privatisation) make this very difficult.

The "right" tend to deregulate to make businesses more efficient and grow the private sector. The EU make this extremely difficult.

Being outside the Eurozone, we get get away with a little bit more of the "right" approach and as a result we've seen a drop in employment since 2010.

I think that if we stay in the EU, and you manage to get Corbyn or somebody similar into office at No. 10; you'll be extremely disappointed by how little gets done from your shared ideology.

Indeed, the employ people to do non jobs and don't employ people to do the jobs that need doing.

In 2020 maybe. But this referendum result is not about the next 5-10 years.

It's about the much longer implications!

Unbeliever, how do you feel about Stephen Hawking saying 'leaving the EU would be a disaster for science?' You're a scientist aren't you?

Easy hire and fire would make a big difference. As would minimising the taxes and paperwork associated with employing somebody. There are of course down sides to this for the workforce. Sometimes employability runs against job security.

The "left" tend to create work, by employing people in the public sector. The EU being against nationalisation (pro privatisation) make this very difficult.

The "right" tend to deregulate to make businesses more efficient and grow the private sector. The EU make this extremely difficult.

Being outside the Eurozone, we get get away with a little bit more of the "right" approach and as a result we've seen a drop in employment since 2010.

The UK already gives employers greater flexibility to offload workers. Much greater than in other EU countries.

I see a pattern emerging here. Much of what irks the Brexiters, when you look at the details, it turns out that quite often the UK has already clearly diverged from the EU.

It's about the much longer implications!

Unbeliever, how do you feel about Stephen Hawking saying 'leaving the EU would be a disaster for science?' You're a scientist aren't you?

Stephen Hawking Warns Humanity Could Destroy Itself In The Next 100 Years.

The theoretical physicist identified artificial intelligence (AI), nuclear war and genetically-engineered viruses as just some of the man-made problems that pose an imminent threat to humanity.

All developed by scientists so cutting their funds might give us a little longer before we destroy our selves.

But easy hire and fire it is now. Was changed only a few years ago that meant people had to work two years before they had protected rights. Simply, if under two years service all companies have to do if pay contractual notice (which legally is one week until you reach two years service anyway).

Or are you saying that companies should just be able to fire irrespective of service? Don't think you would get much support for that.

The debates were on sky news which is available on freeview and freesat.

Link to the sky news Cameron debate from yesterday:

I'll post the link for the Gove one when it's uploaded, if noone beats me to it..

Thankyou. I've now watched both.

Stephen Hawking Warns Humanity Could Destroy Itself In The Next 100 Years.

The theoretical physicist identified artificial intelligence (AI), nuclear war and genetically-engineered viruses as just some of the man-made problems that pose an imminent threat to humanity.

All developed by scientists so cutting their funds might give us a little longer before we destroy our selves.

Amusing! But I asked unbeliever :-p