EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Well, they are not all FAR right now. In your hypothetical world we could hypothetically leave the EU couldn't we?

Stay in for now though.

---------- Post added 05-06-2016 at 12:16 ----------

Very wrong. Staying in the EU for me has nothing to do with our present government.

As has been pointed out to you time and time and time again we can leave the EU whenever we want and in the future if it looks necessary we might. It is not necessary now!

Sure. In another 41 years, I expect there'll be another referendum on the matter. So it can wait until then?

I thought the uncertainty was supposed to be bad for the economy and such. You can't seriously expect another referendum in the foreseeable future. What government in their right mind would put themselves through this if they didn't feel compelled.

Edited by unbeliever

Well, they are not all FAR right now. In your hypothetical world we could hypothetically leave the EU couldn't we?

Stay in for now though.

Not necessarily, as we move forward and EU integration deepens, member states may find it difficult or legally impossible to leave if they wanted to, just like Liverpool can't break away from the rest of England if they wanted to.

Not necessarily, as we move forward and EU integration deepens, member states may find it difficult or legally impossible to leave if they wanted to, just like Liverpool can't break away from the rest of England if they wanted to.

Quite so.

Scotland had to get permission from the UK government for their referendum. They'd been asking for one for a rather long time before it was forthcoming.

Quite so.

Scotland had to get permission from the UK government for their referendum. They'd been asking for one for a rather long time before it was forthcoming.

The same Scotland that says if the Scottish people vote remain but the rest vote out they will have another independence vote?

The same Scotland that says if the Scottish people vote remain but the rest vote out they will have another independence vote?

That's the one.

They will likely ask permission for another referendum if we vote leave. Do you think they'll get it?

So it might be illegal for us to leave the EU in the future? Meh, we break that law and leave anyway. What are they gonna do?

We are not bound by further integration anyway remember!

---------- Post added 05-06-2016 at 12:51 ----------

That's the one.

They will likely ask permission for another referendum if we vote leave. Do you think they'll get it?

Sure, why not? Just like if UKIP got power they would demand another referendum here.

So it might be illegal for us to leave the EU in the future? Meh, we break that law and leave anyway. What are they gonna do?

I remember no such thing. We've been resisting further integration for as long as I can remember. It's only slowed things down.

---------- Post added 05-06-2016 at 12:53 ----------

---------- Post added 05-06-2016 at 12:51 ----------

Sure, why not? Just like if UKIP got power they would demand another referendum here.

We do not break international law lightly. I respectfully assert that you're dreaming.

The EU has been a highly contentious issue since 1972 (Different name then of course). Early on it was Labour railing against it. One referendum in 1975. One now. I was born after the last one. I expect to be dead before the next one.

Edited by unbeliever

I remember no such thing. We've been resisting further integration for as long as I can remember. It's only slowed things down.

---------- Post added 05-06-2016 at 12:53 ----------

I respectfully assert that you're dreaming.

The EU has been a highly contentious issue since 1972 (Different name then of course). Early on it was Labour railing against it. One referendum in 1975. One now.

I'm dreaming? These last few posts are based on the assumption that the far right is sweeping Europe!!

You bang on and on about sovereignty but you have no faith in the government to be able to call another referendum if it's deemed necessary?? How odd.

I'm dreaming? These last few posts are based on the assumption that the far right is sweeping Europe!!

You bang on and on about sovereignty but you have no faith in the government to be able to call another referendum if it's deemed necessary?? How odd.

We're talking about 40 years. The so called "far right" is already on the rise as demonstrated in Austria and France in particular. I'm not saying tomorrow. I'm saying within a generation it's a serious risk.

It could be something else. Radicalism of any kind is generally bad.

The government have made it quite clear with this referendum and with the Scotland referendum that no matter the results they shall consider the matter settled for a generation.

I'm not saying they couldn't hold another referendum. I'm saying, what they're saying, which is that they won't.