EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Yes of course, as you asked. After a life time of voting labour, this time I voted UKIP.

As did many. What did you like about Labour before? Their interest in workers rights? Desire to get the rich to pay the same tax as the rest of us? The NHS?? On paper that's what Labour are far and I understand the Blair years let you down.

UKIP are the new Labour you might say. Well, Steven Woolfe, UKIP MEP considers a plan which stops Europe wide tax evasion a bad thing. A plan which affects the rich mostly. He dresses it up as a superstate issue. Maybe that's what his old mucker Lord Pearson (ex Tory, now UKIP) says it is. Nigel 'I am a Thatcherite' Farage wants to scrap discrimination laws. He has also hinted at privatising the NHS. UKIP AM (and disgraced former Tory) Neil Hamilton also has some interesting ideas.

Do these things not sound like exactly sort of things the old Tories would do? Would you ever vote Tory? Are they not things that a former Labour voter should be deeply concerned about?

Vote UKIP. Don't be surprised when they do nothing more for you than Blair did.

Edited by Shef1985

As did many. What did you like about Labour before? Their interest in workers rights? Desire to get the rich to pay the same tax as the rest of us? The NHS?? On paper that's what Labour are far and I understand the Blair years let you down.

UKIP are the new Labour you might say. Well, Steven Woolfe, UKIP MEP considers a plan which stops Europe wide tax evasion a bad thing. A plan which affects the rich mostly. He dresses it up as a superstate issue. Maybe that's what his old mucker Lord Pearson (ex Tory, now UKIP) says it is. Nigel 'I am a Thatcherite' Farage wants to scrap discrimination laws. He has also hinted at privatising the NHS. UKIP AM (and disgraced former Tory) Neil Hamilton also has some interesting ideas.

Do these things not sound like exactly sort of things the old Tories would do? Would you ever vote Tory? Are they not things that a former Labour voter should be deeply concerned about?

Vote UKIP. Don't be surprised when they do nothing more for you than Blair did.

Yeah okay.

They're helping get us out of the EU.

Once that's sorted I expect that most of the Labour flock will come back.

Not 'till then though.

Although to be honest they might do better to look elsewhere, given that Labour have long since ceased to be the party of the working poor.

A little-known factoid: that's the sound turkeys make when they vote for Xmas :D

Who are the working poor supposed to vote for (especially if they're anti-EU)?

Conservatives: Trained for generations not to.

Labour: Also pro-EU and makes no sense unless you think the country should be run for the benefit of the middle-class public sector unions.

Lib Dems: Most pro-EU party in the cosmos.

UKIP: Okay so they're a mess, but at least they're trying.

Although to be honest they might do better to look elsewhere, given that Labour have long since ceased to be the party of the working poor.

I dunno...I've seen hints of it again of late; Andy Burnam setting an example and Frank Field on QT actually knowing about his constituents (sadly he's a Brexiter but I liked him, though I've not heard of him before)

Like I said before, Jeremy Principles Corbyn should probably have gone independent rather than vote against his party time after time. Livingstone stood as an independent for mayor, Galloway formed his own party. Or perhaps Corbyn should have crossed the floor to the Greens.

I dunno...I've seen hints of it again of late; Andy Burnam setting an example and Frank Field on QT actually knowing about his constituents (sadly he's a Brexiter but I liked him, though I've not heard of him before)

Like I said before, Jeremy Principles Corbyn should probably have gone independent rather than vote against his party time after time. Livingstone stood as an independent for mayor, Galloway formed his own party. Or perhaps Corbyn should have crossed the floor to the Greens.

You know Corbyn is actually anti-EU despite what he's been saying for the last few weeks.

So was Tony Benn.

This is not a right/left issue.

Conservatives: Trained for generations not to.

Labour: Also pro-EU and makes no sense unless you think the country should be run for the benefit of the middle-class public sector unions.

Lib Dems: Most pro-EU party in the cosmos.

UKIP: Okay so they're a mess, but at least they're trying.

Good question!!! UKIP and the DUP are the only Outers. Tories are neutral but more favour remain (of the members that have declared, which is most).

UKIP have wanted Brexit from the get go, long before Blair did them a huge favour.

So the question should be why is it that only a single issue fringe party that got lucky wants Brexit? Because it's a daft idea!!!

---------- Post added 06-06-2016 at 14:51 ----------

You know Corbyn is actually anti-EU despite what he's been saying for the last few weeks.

So was Tony Benn.

This is not a right/left issue.

Nope it's right and wrong. Brexit is wrong.

Yes I know about Corbyn. As I state, his principles are lacking!!

A good question indeed, but as your correctly posited, the referendum is not a right/left issue, it is a national interest issue.

If Corbyn had nailed his colours to the Labour mast, as would be expected of the party's democratically-elected leader, then the pro-Brexit working poor could have "voted Labour" indeed on the referendum issue.

That's in good part why Labour has been dilly-dallying about the referendum for so long, and why they won't push the pro-working poor Remain arguments which Cameron so clearly -and increasingly desperately- needs and wants them to.

Sadly, such is dysfunctionality in current British politics, that they must instead vote "for" UKIP (or the Tory fringe of eurosceptics, same-o) who would out-Tory the Tories in government by a comfortable margin, if they were in charge of the UK. Whence, turkeys voting for Xmas indeed.

A saving grace, I suppose (and for all I know, maybe that's Corbyn's gameplan), is that a win for Brexit which would precipitate such hardline Tories into No.10 and 11 would quasi-automatically restore the political relevance and role of Labour, without much effort.

Edited by L00b