EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Did he answer "no"?

Or did he answer a question that wasn't asked with a true statement?

;)

Yes he said "no its a lie, the net figure is a third of that".

She repeatedly asked him if it was the correct gross figure and each time he replied by no its a lie the net figure is a third of that.

She repeatedly asked him if it was the correct gross figure and each time he replied by no its a lie the net figure is a third of that.

See the belated and heavy edit above (on iPad, taking a while).

PS: Owned ;)

As it turns out, it's not, and you certainly can :)

I thought we'd established the the rebate was paid a year in arrears.

But as I said before, what they should do is deduct last year's rebate from this years payments.

I thought we'd established the the rebate was paid a year in arrears.

But as I said before, what they should do is deduct last year's rebate from this years payments.

That's not the question though.

Whether this year's or last year's rebate is applied to the notional annual budget that -gross- gives you 350m a week, it's still not 350m a week, since the rebate is applied before the money goes to Brussels...

...is it?

All the more so since the annual amounts (gross contribution and rebate) vary year on year.

Edited by L00b
"Year" > "week"

The net figure is roughly a third.

So it's at worst a lie, at the very best deliberately misleading.

Why didn't they just say £100m. That still sounds bad enough

---------- Post added 06-06-2016 at 19:21 ----------

Tinfoil are you serious. Police don,t even come out for a real crime let alone begging. Council ambassadors only operate in the city centre, the only enforcement employees that venture out are traffic wardens. Did speak with hospital security and his reply was " yeah it appens all time ", so He was a great help.

If we stop paying benefits to peple that just come here to sponge from wherever in the world then they will not come and occupy their free time by supplementing benefits by begging.

That's why I am voting out, the nice eu migrants I may come across in hospital or such places but have not been ill,touch wood, for decades, so not met one. When visiting relative in hospital came across not nice eu immigrants, so bad as it seems decision made on that meeting.

Witholding benefits for the first 4 years after arrival is likely to be the first thing Cameron does after a remain vote.

I think they should have gone with £250m/week. That's the notional membership fee minus the rebate. Barely makes any difference psychologically and nobody call call it a lie as the rest of the money (~£150m/week) is either partly or wholly outside of UK government control.

I'm tending very much toward the view that the £350m/week is, by any reasonable standard, a lie. There's no indication that the £350m is ever handed over as everything I can find indicates that the rebate is deducted first.

---------- Post added 06-06-2016 at 19:21 ----------

Witholding benefits for the first 4 years after arrival is likely to be the first thing Cameron does after a remain vote.

Because the gross figure is money we don't have control over the rebate isn't set in stone and the other money might be spent in ways our government doesn't agree with.

EU budget commissioner calls for UK rebate to end

6 September 2010

From the section Europe

There is no longer any justification for the UK's EU budget rebate - worth about 6bn euros (£5bn) last year - the EU budget commissioner says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11198960

How long before we have to give it up?

Because the gross figure is money we don't have control over the rebate isn't set in stone and the other money might be spent in ways our government doesn't agree with.

6 September 2010

From the section Europe

There is no longer any justification for the UK's EU budget rebate - worth about 6bn euros (£5bn) last year - the EU budget commissioner says.

Probably not long.

It has to be unanimously renewed every 7 years.

So they could have said that we may soon be paying £350m/week.

But they didn't say that.

It doesn't matter whether the rebate is guaranteed. They used the present tense. We're getting it this year.

---------- Post added 06-06-2016 at 19:26 ----------

My postal vote has gone. Voted OUT. No more to say. Everyone has to make up their own minds.

Angel1.

Mine too.

6 September 2010

From the section Europe

Another 6 years? :P

Or how about another 30-odd years: calls to abolish the UK's rebate are as old as the rebate itself.

Talk about dogwhistle politics.