EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Remainers...give us 1 or 2 good reasons why you think we should stay.

Knowing the EU is faulty as it is.

Can it be fixed?

be honest - are we better off in europe??

Workers rights and environmental issues.

Is the EU perfect? Absolutely not, in fact in many areas its utter pants. Can it be fixed? I reckon changes will happen over the next couple of years.

But I think we're better off in.

Ask yourself who implements policies that affect us all and can you get rid of them if you don't like those policies.

That's the ONLY question that matters in this referendum because everything else flows from that.

Ask yourself who implements policies that affect us all and can you get rid of them if you don't like those policies.

That's the ONLY question that matters in this referendum because everything else flows from that.

Better off reforming Europe from the outside?

Workers rights and environmental issues.

Is the EU perfect? Absolutely not, in fact in many areas its utter pants. Can it be fixed? I reckon changes will happen over the next couple of years.

But I think we're better off in.

When seeing this argument on TV, they tend to mention things like:

- Paternity pay - great, a few weeks pay once or twice in a lifetime, hardly a major thing. It's handy though.

-- (I don't know answer to this, so it's not my usual rhetorical, it's a genuine question)... If I go and work in Slovakia (or any others) would I be entitled to paternity pay? Would a Slovakian worker here in UK be entitled?

- TUPE - been there, not worth the paper it's written on.

Are these even EU directives?

-

NMW. This is completely different in the former eastern blocks to say UK/Germany rates. Make them even all round, if we want a level playing field.

Policies are formulated by the EU and all 28 countries get to input into the process.

Once policies become law then they are implemented by individual states by adopting them as laws of each country.

But a country (if it has for example negotiated an opt-opt) may choose not to implement certain laws.

Your whole thought process about this is wrong. It's pedicated on the idea that the EU is a behemoth that is making laws without consulting us and then forcing us to adopt those laws. All of which is patent nonsense.

When seeing this argument on TV, they tend to mention things like:

- Paternity pay - great, a few weeks pay once or twice in a lifetime, hardly a major thing. It's handy though.

-- (I don't know answer to this, so it's not my usual rhetorical, it's a genuine question)... If I go and work in Slovakia (or any others) would I be entitled to paternity pay? Would a Slovakian worker here in UK be entitled?

- TUPE - been there, not worth the paper it's written on.

Are these even EU directives?

-

NMW. This is completely different in the former eastern blocks to say UK/Germany rates. Make them even all round, if we want a level playing field.

I think a lot of people get confused with the EU social chapter and the alleged "red tape" it brings with it. The Working Time Directive basically set out the minimum standards across Europe to give a level playing field. It is actually very simple and barely any red tape around it. National Governments can then elect if they wish to go over and above.

For instance, the WTD says that you should not work more than 48 hours on an average over 17 weeks. The UK Government says that a worker can opt out of this if they wish with no retribution (it will be automatically found unfair dismissal if an employer sacks someone for this reason). The French Government has reduced this 48 hours to 35 hours (although they are currently looking to repeal it amongst other things hence all the workers protests in France at the moment).

The WTD says you are entitled to 20 days holiday per year - the UK Government increased this in 2007 to 28 days.

The UK Maternity benefits (of with Paternity is part of this) is greater than the EU standard (although remember until we joined the EU (or EEC as it was in those days) it was still legal to dismiss a woman because she became pregnant).

Interested on your comments re TUPE. I work with TUPE virtually every day in one for or another and I would say for something it is incredibly complex. Does it protect workers rights? In the main, yes. Although some companies, are always looking for ways around it. Don't know the ins and outs of why it didn't work for you but I can assure you in the main it does protect and there is bundles of Case Law to support it.

Minimum Wages are not part of the EU social chapter - these are totally derived by the national Governments.

Will any of these get repealed if we come out of the EU? Very unlikely but will other workers rights get eroded (such as the right to be paid when travelling on business or the right to not lose out on bonuses when you are on holiday).

Edited by MobileB