EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

I would say so on the whole..wouldn't you..?

originally 9 members of the common market & we are saying 2 of those members are nearly bankrupt? Ireland went bust.

Interestingly the PM was saying the same thing about economic uncertainty remainers are saying now.

Edited by Tomjames
H

so, the two reasons I would consider leaving, namely:

1) stopping unskilled immigration and

2) pouring more money into the NHS instead of the EU

are now unlikely to happen in the event of a Brexit, am I correct?

No one knows, although plenty of people will have an opinion.

The sovereignty argument is fake. Every time it is trotted out its the same dog whistle lies around losing sovereignty, and being subjugated to an EU superstate. It's nonsense. Neither of those things have ever happened and won't ever happen because the EU doesn't work that way and won't ever work that way, at least where the UK is concerned.

The leave campaign should be honest and make it clear that what they don't like is the concept of pooled sovereignty and shared decision making, and that neither of those things mean loss of sovereignty or submission. They never will though because the dog whistle is easier to use.

The economic argument is real and the threat is real. It is the most important thing, only people don't realise it yet. Their heads have been turned by the immigration argument and the very weird sovereignty arguments.

History is littered with people who took a principled (sometimes misguided) stand and lost the shirt off their back and the roof over their head. Be clear and honest: the leave campaign is asking tens of millions of people to make that stand (on a dishonest premise) and that the economic consequences are potentially significant.

Actually its the people that asked for the referendum, most of those intending to vote out have had that opinion for years, the out campaigners are just giving those people the voice they haven't had for years.

Actually its the people that asked for the referendum, most of those intending to vote out have had that opinion for years.

Quite right. I know I have. And long before the last several years of high net immigration.

To those who said all we voted for in 74/5 was a common trade area..this is an extract from the government pamphlet issued at the time:

The aims of the Common Market are:

To bring together the peoples of Europe.

To raise living standards and improve working conditions.

To promote growth and boost world trade.

To help the poorer regions of Europe and the rest of the world.

To help maintain peace and freedom

Looks like we voted for more than just a big market place..

Here's the link to the pamphlet itself

http://civitas.org.uk/content/files/1975ReferendumGov.pdf

Are you trying to say that people voted 1n 1975 for the Europe the way it is now?

Why did it change from EEC to EU?