EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

It's difficult isn't it... the way I see it is if we still want to deal with the EU after leaving (when you consider how much of our exports go there we'd have to) we'll still have to pay something to them ( a la Norway),still have to follow their rules and we'd have absolutely no say in anything..plus we'd have to renegotiate our deals with another 50 countries 'cos,as I understand it, we have no deals of our own just the ones we're in via the EU..how long will it take and what will happen to the economy in the meantime?

Yes and if i join any sort of organisation to which there is a subscription to pay, the day after i stop paying, i no longer enjoy those benefits. If there is a Brexit what happens on Friday morning?? I suppose this will have already been planned for by the government but i don't know what those plans are.

Falling UK government borrowing rates are good for the government: it's cheaper for the UK government to borrow.

Falling UK government borrowing rates are bad for investors: it's a smaller return.

...and then the penny dropped ;)

Greece Government bonds must be really really low then ... oh wait ...

http://markets.ft.com/Research/Markets/Government-Bond-Spreads

What do you think Michael Gove and Boris Johnson's motivations are for supporting out? I don't believe they believe in the immigration angle - that's just a way of igniting support - do they want further sovereignty to help them restructure the UK state in a way that EU is currently hindering?

Yes and if i join any sort of organisation to which there is a subscription to pay, the day after i stop paying, i no longer enjoy those benefits. If there is a Brexit what happens on Friday morning?? I suppose this will have already been planned for by the government but i don't know what those plans are.

It's been planned for all around. Nothing stops immediately. We declare our intention under article 50 of the Lisbon treaty and then a process lasting at least 2 years begins making arrangements for an orderly exit.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 12:28 ----------

What do you think Michael Gove and Boris Johnson's motivations are for supporting out? I don't believe they believe in the immigration angle - that's just a way of igniting support - do they want further sovereignty to help them restructure the UK state in a way that EU is currently hindering?

That's certainly what Gove wants. I have no idea what Boris wants except that I suspect he hopes to further his goal of becoming PM.

The only point I'm making is that a drop in the FTSE and in the £ are being interpreted as a lack of confidence in the UK resulting from Brexit, but from the bond market one would surely infer the reverse.
No, it's perfectly logical in trading terms: the gilts offer a safer haven than most other forms of instruments (so money in more volatile areas is currently flocking to gilts due to uncertainty and eroding confidence), and the general outlook on base rates and inflation (the two main components of gilt market pricing) is that they're going to stay low/moribund in the short term at least.

Cross your heart and then tell me that if the cost of borrowing for the government were rising right now, you wouldn't present that as evidence of a lack of confidence or of certainty in the future financial position of the UK.
I'm crossing my hear and telling you that if the cost of borrowing for the government were rising right now, I wouldn't present that as evidence of a lack of confidence or of certainty in the future financial position of the UK, for the simple reason that it could not conceivably happen.

I'm not extending that promise to beyond June 23 though, for reasons which I trust you understand and therefore accept.

It's been planned for all around. Nothing stops immediately. We declare our intention under article 50 of the Lisbon treaty and then a process lasting at least 2 years begins making arrangements for an orderly exit.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 12:28 ----------

Thanks.