EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

The fact is that a trading block can function just fine and dandy without the free movement of people. Allowing us to opt out would certainly not result in a global economic meltdown and risk WWIII so why not let us have it? Why not make a final concession to swing the vote? Could it be that they don't actually believe their own doomsday scenario following Brexit? :suspect:

You want the EU to make one final concession, ending free movement of people to the UK? That seems most unlikely because neither Labour nor the Tories have ever asked for it. You think they will now? Despite it being one of the founding principles? We'd get one major exemption that no other country does, and that includes the Swiss and the Norwegians that aren't even in the EU?? Very likely that is!

But man up Zamo, its clear from all your other posts its immigrants from Muslim countries you don't want. Which our Government could stop right now.

Just read the Sun and you may mock the paper and its readers but I think they may just have swayed a few tens of thousands to OUT. Tusk saying it " could trigger the end of western political civilisation in its entirety" will also have swayed more, why you may ask. Well after all the threats the voters will have thought like I did when I saw it, that you should have given Cameron his poxy concessions.

The eu have forecast dire events and now that they realise Brexit might happen they are cacking themselves. Tusk is now even realising that this supposed insignificant eu member who cannot survive on its own may well be the eu,s downfall. As a non entity country why is that.

I will be honest I hope Tusk is right because the demise of the eu is something the political elite never saw coming, they thought they could march on fleecing us, well times up.

Cannot express how happy I feel at the moment because I genuinely feel we are going to do it despite the very concise and coherent arguments Loob has put forward. I think shef understands this campaign better, it's not about coherent fiscal arguments or threats it's about emotions and feelings. That's why whoever advised Cameron made a stupid mistake telling him to go down the fear line but then again what is the good argument for staying, there isn't,t one other wise they would have used it.

Bring on Carney and the IMF and anybody else forecasting plagues and doom because I think they are just helping out more and more, it's become like a background noise that people are aware is there but they just ignore it. :P:P

Think it may have swung a few people the other way in Liverpool.

If the EU want Britain (and other countries that might follow) to stay in the EU the answer is relatively simple. They have to agree to a wholesale reform of the institution, and to stop the gravy train that exists purely for the benefit of the elite.

The EU is basically a good idea, but it's become a monster. There are a lot of people in the 'Leave' camp who would remain if it was possible to tame the monster with some sensible reforms. However the trouncing that David Cameron got at the EU convinced a lot of people that this would never happen.

No organisation is perfect, but the arrogance shown by the unelected, self serving Commissioners who apparently think they are blameless is breathtaking.

Somebody should have a word in their ear. Very quickly...

Alcatel Lucent - French

Amazon - US

Amgen - US

Apple - US

AstraZeneca - British/Swedish

Bayer - German

Booking.com - US

Broadcom - US

Brother - US

Cancer Research - British

Carl Zeiss - Swiss

Citrix - US

Genzyme - US

GlaxoSmithKline - British

Hitachi - JP

HP - US

Huawei - CN

Illumina - US

Intel - US

Johnson & Johnson - US

Medical Research Council - British

Microsoft Research - US

Mundipharma - German

Pfizer - US

Philips - Dutch

Qualcomm - US

Raytheon - US

Rakuten - JP

Samsung - KR

Sanofi - French

Siemens - German

Takeda - JP

Toshiba - JP

Unilever - US

Wellcome Trust - British

Nationality added in the above, for context (all from memory :blush: , so open to correction of course...but I don't think I'll be wrong on most).

Most of them are true technology/R&D, established where they are for permanent and semi-permanent access to Uni R&D facilities and staff (and, in the context of the thread, many lending a useful hand to secure EU R&D grants).

Others like Cancer Reasearch and The Wellcome Trust stand quietly stand behind (and fund) many R&D efforts there (and elsewhere, including here in Sheffield - I've worked on some of it), just like the listed corpos but with a lesser profit-driven purpose.

Though the "EU mothership" (in revenue/tax terms) for several of these (and other large ones in Oxford and London), and the "EU R&D mothership" for the older EU-implanted ones, is over the water in Dublin.

Edited by L00b

If the EU want Britain (and other countries that might follow) to stay in the EU the answer is relatively simple. They have to agree to a wholesale reform of the institution, and to stop the gravy train that exists purely for the benefit of the elite.

The EU is basically a good idea, but it's become a monster. There are a lot of people in the 'Leave' camp who would remain if it was possible to tame the monster with some sensible reforms. However the trouncing that David Cameron got at the EU convinced a lot of people that this would never happen.

No organisation is perfect, but the arrogance shown by the unelected, self serving Commissioners who apparently think they are blameless is breathtaking.

Somebody should have a word in their ear. Very quickly...

Oh, for goodness sake Anna B. He wasn't trounced. Who has been telling you that? The Brexiters. The ones that have no clear plan for a Post-Brexit Britain!

Who says he did sufficiently well to back our continued membership? The remainers.

You should try to analyse both side of the arguments.

Reading a disinterested newspaper might be start.

Oh, for goodness sake Anna B. He wasn't trounced. Who has been telling you that? The Brexiters. The ones that have no clear plan for a Post-Brexit Britain!

Who says he did sufficiently well to back our continued membership? The remainers.

You should try to analyse both side of the arguments.

Reading a disinterested newspaper might be start.

It's a knee jerk reaction for Anna: David Cameron=Tory=bad

It's a knee jerk reaction for Anna: David Cameron=Tory=bad

That so?

Michael Gove - Bad Tory, opportunistic failed education secretary Tory.

Boris Johnson - Bad Tory, opportunistic Tory with his eyes on one job Tory.

Nigel Farage - Ex Hardline TORY. Once a Tory always a Tory.

You start out liberal and become more conservative with age. Nigel Farage is 52 years old.

Vote in Anna B!