EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

It makes as much sense as yours, so why are you scapegoating me?

Nope, I'm not scapegoating you.

I do however see lots of scapegoating from many vehemently anti-EU, who seem to think that all of our problems can be solved by leaving the EU. If we left the EU, who would they blame then?

I do however see lots of scapegoating from many vehemently anti-EU, who seem to think that all of our problems can be solved by leaving the EU. If we left the EU, who would they blame then?

But what if many of them went away?

Yep, I'm anti EU and suppose the view that I think the UK being responsible for its own future could be seen as scapegoating. But I like everyone else am merely expressing an opinion. Incidentally I don't think for one minute we will be leaving the UK, that's something Cameron will never allow to happen even in the unlikely event that we vote to leave. Also I still don't see why we would need somebody to blame. It's called democracy.

I don't think that the people who are intensely anti-EU have thought things though, who and what are they going to blame if we do actually leave the EU?

I don't think the people wanting to stay in have thought it through, they are just very afraid of change.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 17:03 ----------

I don't see many pro-EU people scapegoating people, so your comment doesn't make any sense!

They scapegoat the British by claiming that we couldn't cope without the EU and imigration.

Yep, I'm anti EU and suppose the view that I think the UK being responsible for its own future could be seen as scapegoating. But I like everyone else am merely expressing an opinion. Incidentally I don't think for one minute we will be leaving the UK, that's something Cameron will never allow to happen even in the unlikely event that we vote to leave. Also I still don't see why we would need somebody to blame. It's called democracy.

I don't think that you got my point.

It seemed to me that to the vehemently anti-EU people, almost everything that was wrong in our society can be blamed upon the EU. My question was, of we left the EU, and as I suspect all the problems didn't go away, they who are they going to blame then?

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 17:17 ----------

I don't think the people wanting to stay in have thought it through, they are just very afraid of change.

Yes, the Pro-EU people are comforted by the maintains of the status-quo that the EU has brought this country for the last 20 years or so. :hihi:

They scapegoat the British by claiming that we couldn't cope without the EU and imigration.

There's a difference between claiming that we'd be being better off if we stayed within the EU and claiming that we couldn't cope.

It seemed to me that to the vehemently anti-EU people, almost everything that was wrong in our society can be blamed upon the EU. My question was, of we left the EU, and as I suspect all the problems didn't go away, they who are they going to blame then?

Yes, the Pro-EU people are comforted by the maintains of the status-quo that the EU has brought this country for the last 20 years or so. :hihi:

There's a difference between claiming that we'd be being better off if we stayed within the EU and claiming that we couldn't cope.

We wouldn't be better off if we stay in, some people are better off and some are worse off because of our membership and if we leave some will be better off and some will be worse off.

I know exactly what you mean. But why just scapegoat the anti-EU people? we,as British people will carry on complaining,(It is a national hobby you know). You might as well just say who are we going to blame if Corbyn wins the next election. Incidentally, in the limited time I've been on SF , a lot of the bile and venom seems to have been directed towards the people who are against open borders etc,which of course is a quite legitimate position to hold.

I've been called ignorant, thick, spineless,racist and other things by the usual suspects, merely for expressing an opinion.

The EU is sometimes blamed by national governments (ours included) for problems that are caused by those governments, it's also correctly blamed for problems it really did cause. Likewise the EU blames national governments both rightly and wrongly. Net result is nobody knows who to believe and governments and eurocrats slopey shoulder blame for everything onto someone else and no bugger takes responsibility.

If we leave then there are no more excuses and we can hold to account those who will be responsible for decision making, the elected representatives in Westminster.

The EU is sometimes blamed by national governments (ours included) for problems that are caused by those governments, it's also correctly blamed for problems it really did cause. Likewise the EU blames national governments both rightly and wrongly. Net result is nobody knows who to believe and governments and eurocrats slopey shoulder blame for everything onto someone else and no bugger takes responsibility.

If we leave then there are no more excuses and we can hold to account those who will be responsible for decision making, the elected representatives in Westminster.

I'm not saying that the people running the EU are blameless and that they haven't made any mistakes. In fact I'd go as far as saying that the current bunch are really making a huge mess of things. You could also say the some about our national parliaments as well though, and we're not talking about getting rid or our national parliaments though.

I think that what you say is right for many people, for them it is a nationalist issue and they want British people running the country irrespective of what it means.

My view point as someone who is pro the EU ideal, is that it is a national interest issue and I believe it is in our national interest to be at the heart of Europe. I believe we have a lot to offer Europe and Europe has a lot to offer us.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 18:03 ----------

I know exactly what you mean. But why just scapegoat the anti-EU people? we,as British people will carry on complaining,(It is a national hobby you know). You might as well just say who are we going to blame if Corbyn wins the next election. Incidentally, in the limited time I've been on SF , a lot of the bile and venom seems to have been directed towards the people who are against open borders etc,which of course is a quite legitimate position to hold.

I've been called ignorant, thick, spineless,racist and other things by the usual suspects, merely for expressing an opinion.

There are very few people here on SF that have put forward the idea of open borders.