EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

I no longer have any say in this referendum, but even with a strong belief in the same Britain I belonged to when we fought alone in 1939, I think it would be disasterous to the economy of the West for Britain to leave now. Surely some steps are in order to find a compromise with the other powers that better suits the situation. You are a major contributor to Eurpoe's finances and defence. Make them see it.

No. Why would they want to stop immigration?

because some people, who will vote to leave, are worried EU immigrants work for less and take their jobs? I thought that was quite a substantial fraction, possible even a majority fraction, of the leave camp. Of course not everyone wants to leave for that reason and perhaps no-one has just one reason to leave.

Caveat: By "stop" I think they possibly mean massively reduce, not make it zero. But I think massively reduce means no freedom of movement like we have now.

Edited by nightrider

because some people, who will vote to leave, are worried EU immigrants work for less and take their jobs? I thought that was quite a substantial fraction, possible even a majority fraction, of the leave camp. Of course not everyone wants to leave for that reason.

25% of the NHS workforce are immigrants. So if vote leavers are voting on this basis, they're destroying the NHS that the leave camp have promised another £100 million per week funding.

In practice they have to agree to something if they want some kind of access to the single market though?
Yes, they have to agree to allow the Germans, French, Italians, etc sell their goods in the UK. The same as the EU needs to agree to allow the UK to sell its goods in Europe. Simple trade deal!

Isn't one aim of brexiters to stop immigration? I'm not sure they would want to sign up to freedom of movement, at least in principle. In practice they have to agree to something if they want some kind of access to the single market though?

Indeed. We've been through the evolution of this argument with the Brexiters and it has been cringing to witness as attempt after attempt was made to hoodwink people.

At first we were being told we could be part of the single market, that we could trade on the same terms as now. Then it was pointed out that Switzerland and countries in the EEA were part of Schengen and that it was possible we would have to do the same.

Cue the next evolution in the idea. After being rumbled the Brexiters then told us we were going to exit the single market but still be able to access, falling back presumably to WTO rules.

In between and afterwards we've had every batcrap idea going. Re-inventing the commonwealth. A special type of membership of the single market. NAFTA-style arrangements. A Nordic trading bloc. The Hanseatic league. Roman trading outposts on the moon. The East India Company. Trade with the planet Mars.

Only joking about the last few ;)

Indeed. We've been through the evolution of this argument with the Brexiters and it has been cringing to witness as attempt after attempt was made to hoodwink people.

At first we were being told we could be part of the single market, that we could trade on the same terms as now. Then it was pointed out that Switzerland and countries in the EEA were part of Schengen and that it was possible we would have to do the same.

Cue the next evolution in the idea. After being rumbled the Brexiters then told us we were going to exit the single market but still be able to access, falling back presumably to WTO rules.

In between and afterwards we've had every batcrap idea going. Re-inventing the commonwealth. A special type of membership of the single market. NAFTA-style arrangements. A Nordic trading bloc. The Hanseatic league. Roman trading outposts on the moon. The East India Company. Trade with the planet Mars.

Only joking about the last few ;)

So what you are saying is the leave camp do not have a coherent plan? :hihi:

25% of the NHS workforce are immigrants. So if vote leavers are voting on this basis, they're destroying the NHS that the leave camp have promised another £100 million per week funding.
What makes you think the immigrant NHS workers would leave? Surely they came to the UK for a better life. There is no reason for their lifestyle to change if "Out" wins so why would they choose to leave?

What makes you think the immigrant NHS workers would leave? Surely they came to the UK for a better life. There is no reason for their lifestyle to change if "Out" wins so why would they choose to leave?

Presumably the NHS would still need to recruit new immigrants to fill a similar fraction of all of their jobs in the near future?

I've no idea what happens to current EU immigrants if we leave.

Edited by nightrider

So what you are saying is the leave camp do not have a coherent plan? :hihi:

Of course they don't have any idea. Not anything they will tell you anyway.

They will just say it isn't their call and have no idea what will happen and we'll simply elect a government every 5 years that will do what we want. This seems like the most excellent plan ever given that every 5 years we potentially have a government that spends its 5 years in power unpicking everything the outgoing government did in the previous parliament.

This definitely looks like a great recipe for negotiations and trading transitions that will span multiple parliaments.

Presumably the NHS would still need to recruit new immigrants to fill a similar fraction of all of their jobs in the near future?

I've no idea what happens to current EU immigrants if we leave.

Why would the UK still be needing immigrants after Brexit when the whole idea of Brexit for the Brexiteers was to stop foreigners taking their jobs...........Make the NHS your jobs,stop relying on foreign labour,and then scapegoating them.