Butcher Bentall - Tooth Fairy

I also remember the model shop at Darnall Main Rd I used to spend most of my wages there on Airfix models, battleships, planes etc. that was in the row of shops near the Lyric picture house. Saturday matinee was brilliant.:thumbsup:

That shop was Lakins, they also sold records and although they never seemed to have what I wanted, they always ordered it and never failed to deliver! Great little shop for models, trains and records!

Yes 'Butcher Bentall' , still shudder at the thought of him. Only went twice, first time I thought, must be one of his bad days, gosh was I wrong.

I,ve loads of missing teeth all taken out in my childhood.by John Bentall I've not had one removed in 40 years although I still eat loads of sweets. That says it all.

I seem to remember he died in a car accident can anyone confirm this ?

Lost my filling today after over 40 years!!! Does any one remember Mr Bentall the Dentist at the bottom of Handsworth Hill?? What an experience. Only in the passed few years have plucked up the courage to visit a Dentist again!![/This post put me in a cold sweat]

Remember him well. I went there from a child until I was old to find another dentist, and every tooth I had was filled by age 13. More than once he put the injections in with such force he had his foot on the chair for leverage. He also used to chain smoke while doing your teeth, and on one occasion he rested his cig on that dish the water stands on and he shouted at me when I flapped my hand because the smoke was choking me, and I knocked the water over. I'm sixty now and even though my dentist is nice I still shake with fear when I walk in the surgery.

I,ve loads of missing teeth all taken out in my childhood.by John Bentall I've not had one removed in 40 years although I still eat loads of sweets. That says it all.

I seem to remember he died in a car accident can anyone confirm this ?

We went to his surgery in the late 60's-early 70's,to me it felt as though he hooked your lip over an ear then dived in with a vengance, (a bit like the scene in Little Shop of Horrors). He certainly did die in a car crash

Lost my filling today after over 40 years!!! Does any one remember Mr Bentall the Dentist at the bottom of Handsworth Hill?? What an experience. Only in the passed few years have plucked up the courage to visit a Dentist again!!

I seem to remember there was a delightfully, pretty dental assistant working with him at one time, about 1956/7. She was possibly called Emma or Amy. Anyway, she made my few visits more bearable. Does anyone else remember her and know what became of her?