George Osbourne Planning Tax credit cuts: Fair?

But I do not set the taxes, I too give to charity, only small amounts, to make this country better. I would assume that is why wealthier people like to help the poor.

Wealthy people like to help those who have made their best effort, but still need some help.

They often resent helping those who are not making their best effort.

I doubt many would be angry about you as you are working full time for most of the year, but then they've not cut you off. They are still helping out. Just a little less then before. You might reasonably take this as a message along the lines of "could try harder".

I wish you the best of luck with your job application.

The problem with making a choice to limit your work and then using tax credits to top it up is that typically if you're not earning >~£27k you're putting less into the system than you're taking out in benefits and services.

I realise that not everybody is capable of this, but it's important to realise how expensive the modern state is.

You asked how it was "fair". I have to be honest and say that you're clearly capable of making that extra £1.5k yourself, so is it really fair to choose not to and expect the rest of society to do it for you?

Bit in bold doesn't really matter. It's how a progressive taxation system is supposed to operate.

Bit in bold doesn't really matter. It's how a progressive taxation system is supposed to operate.

In general I agree but El Cid made reference to the previous tax that they'd paid which I took to imply that they felt that they were somehow getting their own money back. Although based on later comments, I think I may have made the wrong inference there.

I'm sorry to hear that, but that money has to come from somewhere and a decent fraction will come from people who have gone to not inconsiderable effort to get training to do something difficult and are working for more than 36 hours per week. Are you comfortable taking money that they earned?

You seem like a very smart and able person from your posts. I know we often disagree, but that doesn't mean I don't respect you. Have you considered training for a higher skilled job?

I agree completely. Based on their post - they are already earning just over £14k a year for working below the average working week of others. Its not exactly poverty. Its approximately £240 a week after tax.

I really do wonder how on earth some people survived before 2003 and these wonderful top ups that other, dare I say, more hard working people pay for. All this "worse off" talk makes me wonder. Are people really that desperate for the handout or have they simply wiped out from their mind how they seemingly managed perfectly well before it existed.

I agree completely. Based on their post - they are already earning just over £14k a year for working below the average working week of others. Its not exactly poverty. Its approximately £240 a week after tax.

I really do wonder how on earth some people survived before 2003 and these wonderful top ups that other, dare I say, more hard working people pay for. All this "worse off" talk makes me wonder. Are people really that desperate for the handout or have they simply wiped out from their mind how they seemingly managed perfectly well before it existed.

The big change from before 2003 is higher rents, higher house prices and higher energy prices.

You need wonder no more ;)

The big change from before 2003 is higher rents, higher house prices and higher energy prices.

You need wonder no more ;)

Higher rents and house prices are due to planning and building regulations set for green reasons.

Higher energy prices are due to green interference in the energy market.

Same applies to food prices.

You want poor people to be better off? Get the greens under control.

Higher rents and house prices are due to planning and building regulations set for green reasons.

Higher energy prices are due to green interference in the energy market.

Same applies to food prices.

Hmmm, I was just stating the obvious regarding why some people face more pressure with living costs these days. Not speculating on the causes.

Hmmm, I was just stating the obvious regarding why some people face more pressure with living costs these days. Not speculating on the causes.

Yes. I strayed off topic a little. I just don't like it when the government goes out of its way to make the basic essentials more expensive.

The Greens only have one MP, and the Tories have been in power for the last five tears.

Dont farmers get eu subsidies, to make food cheaper and farmers wealthier. Perhaps those are that benefits that should be cut?

I work 36 hours per week, I get paid £7,18 per hour, just under the new minimum wage; and I will be £1,500 worse off.

I little more than "slightly less".

The increase in the minimum wage to £7.20 is just the first step. It is to go up by increments until it reaches £9 in 2020. You will only be temporarily worse off. Assuming the increments are roughly equal, you will be worse off between April 16 and April 17, and for April 17 - April 18 you will roughly be the same. After that, you're better off - in 2020 you will be on £3,407 a year more than you are now, and the tax payer will be £1,500 a year better off too.