George Osbourne Planning Tax credit cuts: Fair?

Just seen a bloke on the news talking about tax credits, wearing fancy dress so they are obviously not being serious about it, mind you it's difficult to take them seriously when you've got a load of unelected cronies, failed politicians and out of touch churchmen. I think some of them would need watching in the rough.

It shouldn't be rubbish, Osborne has used Labour legislation (minimum wage) to allow him to switch employment costs from HMG to where they belong, with employers.

The November statement will allow him to tweak the legislation to increase the level at which taxation is imposed and/or adjust national Insurance contributions.

Its very clever politics and its the right thing to do.

My answer wasnt in terms of ideology. I dont think its clever as in something I admire because of how clever it is, its just simply a cut. I agree employers and workers shouldnt be subsidised in this way. We will wait to see if the definite £1,000 in tax credits is made up, but I doubt it will be for a long time. Will wait to see some research on the actual effects next year. Presumably he is going to keep cutting tax credits for the next decade.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 19:08 ----------

Btw tax credits target 3 areas. Those on low pay, those with children and those who need childcare.

I wonder what % of people affected voted for the Conservatives?

Ghttp://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tax-credit-cuts-delayed-by-house-of-lords-hollis-amendment-osborne-a6709846.html.

Good, the HOLs have voted to delay the bill for 3 years. Serve Osborne's right.

Yes, just what we need, a bunch of unelected geriatrics in fancy dress deciding policy. The lunatics have now taken over the asylum.

Ghttp://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tax-credit-cuts-delayed-by-house-of-lords-hollis-amendment-osborne-a6709846.html.

The HoLs have no mandate to delay a bill for 3 years. If the HoCs want it to pass, ultimately it will.

Good on the lords .This Tory scum needed this slap on the bum.

This could have been avoided if Osborne had just done his sums more accurately.

There aren't many people that don't realise tax credits need to be reformed but they should have been cut in such a way as to not penalise those on the lowest levels of support and they should have been brought in in conjunction with the pay rises and increases to the personal allowance.

As it is his all the claims from Cameron and Osborne that 8 out of ten people would be better off were comprehensively discredited.

It reminds me of when Gordon Brown got rid of the 10p tax rate. A worthwhile thing to do but bad maths meant people lost out and he had to go scrabbling about amending tax allowances to make up for his cack handed sums.

Osborne is now saying that he will bring in transitional arrangements to help those who are losing out

"He says he thinks he can achieve the goal of bringing in his tax credit changes while also introducing transitional arrangements to protect people. He will do that, he says. He will set out how in the autumn statement."

If he'd have done that sooner he might have got the proposals through the HOL

The HoLs have no mandate to delay a bill for 3 years. If the HoCs want it to pass, ultimately it will.

At least it gives us an insight to what would happen in the unlikely event of Labour being voted into office. We can forget about democracy.