George Osbourne Planning Tax credit cuts: Fair?

Indeed £4 billion from £32 billion. Also strange that the people who urged the Government to think again were arch Thatcherites Lord Lawson & Lord Tebbit.

It's easy. Scrap trident and reinstate tax credits.

Pays for next 25 years.

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 12:23 ----------

Possibly, Norman Tebbit is known not to be a fan of David Cameron, and has written a number of critical articles about his Government.

Though as some others have pointed out, there will be some Conservative MPs in marginal seats that will be pleased that the Lords have rejected the proposals.

Critical time for this government. Growth has slowed and factions in the ranks emerging.

It's a bit of a catch 22. Does the Chancellor backtrack on tax credits and risk missing the surplus by 2019 target?

Or does he go full steam ahead but risk losing votes?

It's easy. Scrap trident and reinstate tax credits.

Pays for next 25 years.

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 12:23 ----------

Critical time for this government. Growth has slowed and factions in the ranks emerging.

It's a bit of a catch 22. Does the Chancellor backtrack on tax credits and risk missing the surplus by 2019 target?

Or does he go full steam ahead but risk losing votes?

I suspect that whatever he does now it will be forgotten in 4 and 1/2 years ...

I suspect that whatever he does now it will be forgotten in 4 and 1/2 years ...

The tax credit cut effect chart says 3 million people will be losing between 300 and 1300 per year in 2020. Even with the NMW increase.

Some are losing 2500 per year. That's 12500 over 5 years. Hardly pocket change.

The tax credit cut effect chart says 3 million people will be losing between 300 and 1300 per year in 2020. Even with the NMW increase.

Some are losing 2500 per year. That's 12500 over 5 years. Hardly pocket change.

I don't believe I said it was...

A politician lying!? I never!!!

Your naivety is either staggering or for show.

Yes, because the public support the cuts and also because they were up against Ed & Ed, who were an Electoral disaster.

Well pardon me for wanting our politicians to be honest men with some integrity...

How outrageous of me...

There's been a lot of talk about the Conservatives being democratically elected etc etc etc, but how democratic is it for them to tell bare faced lies in order to get voted in?

They said they wouldn't cut tax credits when they were already planning to do just that. Would they have been democratically elected if they had spelled out what cuts they were going to make before the election?

If they had said they were abolishing it, they would have had my vote. It's a ludicrous system.

-

There were loads of interviews on Radio Sheffield yesterday, and I wanted to ask them ALL how they managed before the 'tax credits'.

In your own words Anna, poverty is on the up, and has been for years, so it obviously hasn't fixed any issues in respect of poverty.

There were loads of interviews on Radio Sheffield yesterday, and I wanted to ask them ALL how they managed before the 'tax credits'.

In your own words Anna, poverty is on the up, and has been for years, so it obviously hasn't fixed any issues in respect of poverty.

Yeah. Tax credits are a poverty trap. They take away folks incentive to better themselves and lead them down the path of state reliance. It's an anti-aspiration tax so no wonder it came from Labour.

Yeah. Tax credits are a poverty trap. They take away folks incentive to better themselves and lead them down the path of state reliance. It's an anti-aspiration tax so no wonder it came from Labour.

Precisely. Always the same with them.

When Corbyn is reading out his 'individual' stories in the commons (whilst claiming that he has received thousands) he obviously picks out the worst ones. - well I have one experience of it 'live'. My friends had it then when the youngest started school, she wanted to go back to working her old hours (about 10-15 more per week) but discovered they would get less money per week if she did (with the loss of it). How is that right? As it happens, she went back, but I can't see many others looking for more work. She did it because she wanted to work.

The bill to reform the house of Lords and replace it with a mostly elected upper chamber was defeated in 2012 by a Tory backbench rebellion.

During the 5 years of the coalition the number of Lib Dem peers doubled leading to the very strong position they are in now of having over 100 peers but only 8 MPs. This proportion was linked to the national vote share in 2010 GE as part of the reform plans. The thinking was those new peer appointments would end once the new structure was in place. That new structure never happened.

So you could say it was Cameron's failure to win in 2010 , and his backbench rebellion of 2012 that sowed the seeds of last night defeat.