How to handle illegal immigrants

Nice attempt to rename xenophobia.

I renamed the 'fascist' label attached by tzijlstra. Whether it's protectionism or xenophobia depends on whether the perceived threat is rational or not... which is a matter of opinion and open to debate.

Vastly wanting to reduce foreigners in a country, to me, sounds like extreme nationalism, especially when it is inferred he is talking about second and third generation immigrants as well.

Before slinging the mud why not ask for clarification of a persons views instead of making inferences? I didn't read his post as wanting to expel those already here but rejecting future ones and those here illegally. With exceptions for immigrants with something to offer, I think that's sensible and would be supported by most people in this country. You alienate yourself and your arguments when you call someone fascist for views shared by most people.

I renamed the 'fascist' label attached by tzijlstra. Whether it's protectionism or xenophobia depends on whether the perceived threat is rational or not... which is a matter of opinion and open to debate.

Before slinging the mud why not ask for clarification of a persons views instead of making inferences? I didn't read his post as wanting to expel those already here but rejecting future ones and those here illegally. With exceptions for immigrants with something to offer, I think that's sensible and would be supported by most people in this country. You alienate yourself and your arguments when you call someone fascist for views shared by most people.

Good job standing up for a xenophobe Zamo, so I'll put it in front of others, how would you interpret this:

Do I sense some open hostility towards the Asian and Caribbean community here?

Aside from the typical undertones, you are utterly wrong. Someone who has worked in 't mines all their life on a 15K a year income (averaged out) is lucky to have contributed 70K. If they live longer than 10 years that is only 7K a year before it runs out.

Don't let that disturb you though, fortunately there are plenty of invaders who keep adding to the system.

Not hostility about them personally but against their numbers.

We have far too many foreign peoples in this country and I am one individual that thinks the numbers need reducing.........vastly.

Go on - call me racist.

Zamo it seems you'll find your posts taken out of context most times you post, it would seem many on this forum never contribute but just stand and wait for the opportunity to as you put it mud sling.

Zamo it seems you'll find your posts taken out of context most times you post, it would seem many on this forum never contribute but just stand and wait for the opportunity to as you put it mud sling.

You were invited to make your views known. Am I correct in thinking you include the Caribbean and South-West Asian communities that have been here since the 50s?

In other news, ferry workers in Calais resumed their strike yesterday, causing the same havoc on roads on both sides of the Channel as last week, and the same stampede of Calais illegals trying to board queuing HGVs. They managed to block/shut Eurotunnel mid-afternoon, for a while, as well. Not seen anything in the news about it.

In other news, ferry workers in Calais resumed their strike yesterday, causing the same havoc on roads on both sides of the Channel as last week, and the same stampede of Calais illegals trying to board queuing HGVs. They managed to block/shut Eurotunnel mid-afternoon, for a while, as well. Not seen anything in the news about it.

Pleased I switched plans to fly+hire rather than drive through the Chunnel coming Monday...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-33340850

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11710137/Holidaymakers-should-avoid-Calais-as-striking-ferry-workers-block-port.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/01/road-haulage-association-military-break-calais-strike

It's also been all over the radio news....

Yes, today. I was talking about yesterday (my parents drove through and Chunnelled early afternoon yesterday, missed the mid-afternoon blockade by a whisker). Acc. to them the HGV queue was nearly 6 miles on the French side, and a good 15 miles (double-stacked) on the Brit side.

Pleased I switched plans to fly+hire rather than drive through the Chunnel coming Monday...
Parents going back next Tuesday, I'm hoping it'll be sorted by then (although I expect it's mostly HGV traffic that's heavily disrupted). Edited by L00b

Yes, today. I was talking about yesterday (my parents drove through and Chunnelled early afternoon yesterday, missed the mid-afternoon blockade by a whisker).

Parents going back next Tuesday, I'm hoping it'll be sorted by then (although I expect it's mostly HGV traffic that's heavily disrupted).

It was on the radio yesterday....