My first dog advice please

Pkingy

Always wanted a dog but work commitments didn't give me time. But taking early retirement next year so will have the time. Will try dog rescue first what breed should I go for. thanks medium size

Edited by Pkingy
more info

Retired greyhounds make excellent pets!! They're so soft and loving and actually only need 2 twenty minute walks a day - they were built for speed but have NO stamina. The only downside might be their size - the females are a lot smaller than the males though.

Take a look at the ones up for adoption now - http://www.sheffieldretiredgreyhounds.com/adopt.html. You can go up to the centre and walk as many dogs as you like - to make sure you make the right decision!

thanks but I was thinking about jack russel size

Ha! They're well small - not medium! But seriously... go to a rescue centre... they'll help find the perfect match for you. The bonus with adopting adult dogs is that you know what you're getting - both in terms of size and personality.

You have made a good start by deciding on the size of dog you would like. The other things to consider are:

* Exercise - consider how much exercise you are comfortable with. Some small dogs (including Jack Russell Terriers) can cover a lot of ground but will be equally happy with a couple of 30 minute walks per day.

* Health - veterinary bills are very high these days. Healthy breeds tend to have lower insurance premiums. Try to get a breed of dog that is known to be healthy with no genetic problems.

*Grooming - decide how much grooming you are willing to do. Breeds such as the Bichon Frise are gorgeous but are high maintenance. They can be costly too if they need regular appointments at a salon. Go for a short haired breed if you are not keen on regular brushing and combing. Remember that most short haired breeds will moult to some extent.

* Breed specific rescue - if you are keen on a particular breed, you may be able to obtain one from the above. The Kennel Club has a list of them or you can do a search in the Internet.

Miniature poodles are very intelligent little dogs that take a lot of stimulation and also come with a hefty grooming bill because they have hair rather than fur and they need to be clipped.

What you haven't said is anything about your age and what activity level/ability you're fine with- both of these would be really helpful bits of information because for instance, if you aren't used to lots of walking then I'd suggest that a JRT would be less suitable for you simply because they are very active little dogs that can go on walks that take hours out of your day. I know JRT owners who take their little dog on far longer walks than I have ever needed to take my German Shepherd, for instance.

GSDs are high energy dogs, but nothing compared to border collies, gun dogs, some terriers (and springer spaniels- never EVER let the sweet looks fool you!). Some of the really big breeds are complete lazybones and sighthounds (all of the long pointy ones, from Afghans to greyhounds and whippets) are the biggest couch potatoes of the lot of them- they're built for short sprints and long naps.

Poodles are a lot more intelligent and busy than most people take them for, and as a consequence there is quite a high rate of 'problem' poodles who are under-challenged and under-exercised and therefore bored. If you're going to get a poodle then you need to have a plan for how to keep the little one entertained, whether that's scenting practice, agility or some other form of structured stimulation, as well as plenty of exercise.

This is not meant to put you off BTW, just to make you think. I home check for lots of rescues and the questions that I ask people are things like:

Where is the space in your life for a dog? Dogs take up an awful lot of time and if you have a really busy social life you need to make time in that for walkies (although walkies are really good forms of social life too!).

Whose job is it to get up when the dog has been sick in the middle of the night and clean up?

Whose job is it to get out with them first thing for a walk and a wee? Whose job is it to do the same when it's dark, cold and raining?

What happens at holiday times? Does your dog go with you to a cottage in the UK? In to kennels? To a home boarding service? Do you have a house sitter? How about a pet passport and going abroad with you in the car?

How does your little one travel? In a car? Have you got a travelling crate, harness to keep them safe with a seat belt?

What does 'your dog' do with you? What does the dog in your head look like, feel like, respond like? Do they fetch a ball that you throw? Do they have good enough recall to come off a lead when you're out in the countryside for a walk? Do they sit nicely with you in the pub for a pint at the end of the a long walk?

People who are able to advise you on answers to the right sort of dog for you need to know what the dog in your head acts like and feels like to you. It sounds like a strange way to approach these things, but I described 'my dog' to dozens of people before I got Molly and they all told me that I needed a German Shepherd- and they were right.

I have Chihuahuas and I have a medical problem that means I cant walk very far, they are happy with a run around the garden playing fetch when I cant manage far, and when I'm well, they love a mad 5 minutes round Graves Park

It's impossible for anyone to suggest breeds that may be suitable for you without you telling us a little more about yourself :)

How much walking do you intend to do on a daily basis?

How long and often will the dog be left on it's own? (Some breeds are more prone to separation anxiety etc than others)

How willing are you to bush the dog at home? And what budget would you set aside for professional grooming?

What budget could you or would you like to put aside for vet bills? Eg, cavalier kind charles spaniels are very prone to chronic health problems and I have a few clients who spend a small fortune on regular treatment for epilepsy, just one ailment they're prone to, which is costly in money and time.

How much time would you dedicate to playing or would you prefer a dog that is happy to laze around all day with little play?

Hope you find the friend you are looking for :)