My first dog advice please

Pkingy

Thank you for going towards the idea of rescue centres.

There's nothing wrong with having an idea of a breed in mind, I'm a collie gal but I am lucky as I have a collie cross that is older and energy level is the same as mine. Some collies would require too much that I couldn't give.

I'd say just take your time, look around at lots of rescues when it's time, and meet a lot of different dogs. The right dog will come around when it's time, but don't rush into it just 'because'. At some point you'll find one that will just steal your heart.

Rescues also give you the chance to trial and return in case it doesn't work out.

I'll always recommend a good mixed breed though. :-)

Pkingy - a miniature poodle could be a good choice. I have never had one but they seem to be super little dogs. Whilst one of these would need a couple of walks a day they wouldn't need to be very long ones. They are bright and you would have fun training it. Coat care will need to be considered so do some research on that - you don't want a matted dog. Hardwick Hounds is the best person to ask about that.

Try to purchase from an experienced breeder who has paid attention to health checks. That way it shouldn't be costly when it comes to veterinary care. These days there are lots of doodles about (first cross with a Poodle). Not wanting to criticize but might be best to avoid. Don't worry about a Poodle not being a man's dog - the manly thing is to think about it carefully and get the dog that will suit you and your lifestyle.

Why an experienced breeder as opposed to a rescue centre? OP needs to evaluate what constitutes a medium sized dog as the ones they have suggested are SMALL dogs. A med sized dog would be a border collie sized dog and a large dog is such as german shepherd or larger. Small dogs chihuahua, jack russell or miniature poodle

Go to a rescue centre or two human and dog nature will take its course and you will find your dog,enjoy,it's good to hear of someone looking for a pooch and giving it serious thought well done.

:clap::clap:

Denlin - the reason that I advised to go to an experienced breeder is because the OP is thinking of a Poodle. We need to remember that pure bred dogs are sometimes badly bred and have health problems - you only need to take a look at Many Tears website to realise that.

If someone is wanting a pure bred dog then it makes sense to purchase one that is well bred and likely to be healthy. If they want a dog from a rescue centre then that is good but there are people who, for one reason or another prefer one particular breed. That's OK too - we are all different. Also, don't forget that there are breed specific rescues, probably including one (or more) for Poodles. That is something else for the OP to consider.

Edited by ccit

There is a poodle rescue in the UK who will be able to help you find the right one for you if you are going for a rescue dog.

Google poodles in need.

They are very intelligent dogs and make great working dogs, originally used as water retrievers. The reason people think theyre not 'manly' if you like, is because of their coat clips but they were actually designed to hwlp them move through the water etc. They have fabulous coats to scissor. They don't shed at all and are great for allergy sufferers but do require maintenance. You would need to brush the coat at home and have it professionally groomed every 6/8 weeks. If you didn't want to brush it you could have the whole coat clipped short every 3/4 weeks.

They do require lots of walks to keep them mentally stimulated as well as physically and are working dogs so have plenty of energy. Of course, a toy poodle would require less food and exercise and time.and cost on grooming than a standard poodle.

A standard poodle is as manly as the next dog :D a great breed.

They became quickly popular in the 1950s I believe and some bad breeding went on and they got a name for being snappy. I think this has been bred out of them now but either way go to a good breeder or get to know one from rescue before you take one on.

I have a poodle x JRT and he's too clever for his own good!! Mixed with the stubborn attitudes of a JRT, it's like having a stroppy three year old permanently. He's a fantastic dog, loves learning, great company, eats all my spiders for me, couldn't ask for a better companion. He can be short tempered but he hasn't got a nasty bone in his body, and he's very very tolerant with kids. Being a cross, his health is great. He's 8 and sill gets mistaken for a pup. He (touch wood) has cost us very little in vets fees.

I also have a corgi x JRT rescue, who isn't anywhere near as bright but by no means thick. He needs a lot of exersise, he's bigger and pure muscle. Again he has a lovely temparament but being a rescue with obvious abuse in his past, he has a lot of issues. We're working on them with him, but it's slow progress - a rescue is pot luck, but it's our job to help him cope with the world and learn to trust people again.

Rescuing is a fantastic thing to do. You can also look at fostering (as we did and failed - we adopted him!) as a good way of seeing if that dog fits with your life. If so, great - they can stay. If not, you've helped them out of stressful kennels and given them an awesome chance of finding a warm bed forever. It's just something else to consider I guess, because rescues are always so grateful for the help and the space to take another one in.

Let us know how you get on, there will always be people on hand here to help!