Living room floor! Heavy duty cushioned vinyl flooring VS Laminate

Which do you prefer?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Heavy duty cushioned vinyl flooring
    • Laminate flooring

Hi all. I will be moving home next week and were looking at getting laminate flooring for the living room, but after shopping round today I have come across heavy duty cushioned vinyl flooring the spacific flooring we saw were Rhino flooring 20yr warrenty.

I have been to several shops and they have recomended the cushioned vinyl flooring to laminate, due to it not been as cold, no need for the extra underlay and due to no spliting if water gets in the grooves.

So basically I were wondering what people think the pros and cons are with laminate VS cushioned vinyl flooring is, or if and why people have swapped from one to another.

I had vinyl flooring in my hallway, dining room and sons bedroom. We had a flood and it had to be replaced due to it being such an issue with insurance (don't ask) but it was fine in itself, we chose it as it worked out cheaper than laminate and we could lay it ourselves.

Currently have laminate all the way through downstairs now but I would go back to vinyl, it's warm and easy to clean!

I'd go with vinyl too. My kitchen vinyl has been faultless for 23 years and although it's starting to get a bit discoloured now, I couldn't really expect any more from it, since it's had everything from motorbikes to dropped knives on it over the years.

The really good thing is that you can get vinyl that looks just like laminate ;)

Neither. A living room needs to be cosy and warm, particularly in winter. A nice carpet and underlay would be a better choice IMO. Save the lino for kitchen and bathroom.

The thing is the living room will be doubling up as a dining room, otherwise carpet would have been our first choice.

As it is doubling up as a dining room I can see your point, especially if you have children. Is there no way round it? Perhaps (as above) use an easy to clean rug just for the area where the table is? Carpets are quiet, comfortable and give a more homely feel.

I have lots of different flooring throughout my home but not much carpet. Only five rooms are carpeted in our house; two of the bedrooms, my office, dining room, hall stairs and landing.

I have various ceramic tiles, parquet floor, oak veneer type laminate (not sure exactly what you call it), ordinary laminate, laminate specially for bathrooms and stained floorboards. Some have large rugs, some don't. In addition to that I have had Karndean and a similar make which is high quality vinyl flooring or something very similar but its laid like laminate. I also have rubber flooring and another type of vinyl tile.

They were chosen for a mixture of durability or function ie hard floors in heavy use areas where they can be cleaned easily. Carpet where noise needed to be absorbed or for a little more warmth under bare feet.

The difference under foot varies significantly between all my flooring. I would say that the ceramic tiles are uncomfortably cold under bare feet but the rest are okay if the house is warm. All my floors are fine if you have socks on, I rarely wear slippers.

I don't find this an easy question to answer unless I know what you want to achieve, your style and how much you can spend.

Hard floors really benefit people who suffer from any type of allergy or respiratory problem. My mum used to vacuum her house every couple of days but really noticed a difference when she changed to hard flooring. She doesn't have any pets, doesn't smoke and her carpets were in good condition but they do hold dust, even when vacuumed.

http://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors