Road Bicycles for Sheffield and its 7 hills!

^

You might try looking at something not quite pure road, like a cyclocross bike or a touring bike for all-weather commuting. Still a world away from the energy sap of a mountain bike but a bit more suited to most weathers. Something with say 700 x 32 tyres is a good balance

As above, waterproofs (and keep an eye on Aldi for their waterproof overshoes that are a godsend in standing water) and good gloves - a buff / neck gaiter, and you're pretty set up for what is a short-ish commute

Personally I like a 29er with thin (ish) tyres. 44c I think, although it's possible to go narrower (but not recommended if you have to play with the tram tracks).

I got a cyclocross bike for the winter a couple of years ago. The wide treaded tires lasted about a week before they were swapped for some 25mm ones. I think that treaded winter tires offer a false confidence, just accept that the roads are slippery in the winter and cycle accordingly.
cyclo cross tyres and mountain bike tractor tyres are designed for mud, not tarmac. They grip far worse than road tyres on roads and hard ice.

Get a bike that will allow you to put on slightly bigger tyres (23mm is fast, but a pain on pot holed roads) and mudguards, should you feel you need them later on.

I like a hard tail and rigid fork mountain bike with narrow slicks for commuting, but I have several bikes for different rides. For someone having only 1 bike with no sporting aspirations, a hybrid could be a good choice

cyclo cross tyres and mountain bike tractor tyres are designed for mud, not tarmac. They grip far worse than road tyres on roads and hard ice.

Get a bike that will allow you to put on slightly bigger tyres (23mm is fast, but a pain on pot holed roads) and mudguards, should you feel you need them later on.

I like a hard tail and rigid fork mountain bike with narrow slicks for commuting, but I have several bikes for different rides. For someone having only 1 bike with no sporting aspirations, a hybrid could be a good choice

I ride 25mm on both my road and my cyclocross bike, it's now thought that 25mm offer the least rolling resistance. The cyclocross bike is perfect for me during winter, it's got more relaxed riding position, a lot more forgiving handling and the disc breaks means I can actually stop when it's wet!