What should a British Muslim do?

<...>

The latest Muslim youth to blow himself up in the name of Islam in Iraq may well have been lured over the extremist line by groomers (as his family claim) but his family <...>

He was underage, and it is reported that he left for Turkey with a friend 3 months ago.

So, what I wasn't told by the news, but would like to know, is where does his family, school, teachers, imam think he was for the last 3 months, and did they report his 'disappearance' to the authorities at all?

What should a British Muslim do? Help root out at least local, national and online faith extremism by supplying any and all information about the issue they come across, whether directly or indirectly. Yes, that means shopping their family members, mates, imams and such if it comes to it. It's in their best, self-preserving interest.

Edited by L00b

Isn't it likely that he was reported missing by his family? Teens run away all the time, how many missings persons reports are the police dealing with at any one time?
Perhaps. Edited my post just before I saw yours. But we don't know. And I'm of a generally suspicious disposition ;)

I was watching this discussion on TV between a number of Europeans , .. some of them were Muslim Europeans …

To cut the story short, terror and suicide bombings killing innocents were mentioned … One of the guys present said: If I were a Muslim European I would feel it necessary to apologise …

My question: when we hear of someone of Islamic background or Islamic connections committing a terrible act, do you think it necessary an innocent Muslim ought to apologise for the pain and stress caused?

I hope we can have an informed and civil debate, thanks!

Lets get it back on track and stop the bickering, #45 to #49..............

One of the most uncomfortable times in my life was when I visited 'The British Prison' in Jerusalem. The execution room had a back lit flag of Israel, trap door, pictures of the 18 freedom fighters/terrorists around the walls. I felt responsible in a small way.

What I'm saying is if the cap fits wear it. I am British and feel that I represent Britain for good or bad all the time. If I were muslim, I think I would feel the need to explain and apologise in a small way.

Edited by Flanker7

What British Muslims should do

You write like you believe that all Muslims are the same, like they come out of some identikit mould.

How do you think Christians would feel if you were making this statement about people who bomb abortion clinics. What Christians should do is leave behind their religiously infected culture that causes them to be against abortion in the first place. They take their children to the brink of extremism with their antiquated beliefs and then they're surprised that some of them become Dr and nurse murdering religious zealots. They should stop teaching their children this twisted ideology and get with the Western ideal (which is what, consumerism and reality TV?).

What atheists should do is leave behind their soulless, godless, bereft culture that takes their children to the brink of becoming an evil dictator. We'd all be better off if there were no more Stalins, no more evil atheist dictators murdering millions. It's all the fault of the atheists.

Edited by Cyclone

Isn't it likely that he was reported missing by his family? Teens run away all the time, how many missings persons reports are the police dealing with at any one time?

The family new that he had gone and did appeal for him to return.

In April, they said the teenager boarded a flight to Turkey with his friend Hassan Munshi, also 17 at the time. The families of both boys issued an urgent appeal for their return, adding they were gravely worried the pair had joined Isis.

Talha was a loving, kind, caring and affable teenager,” they said. “He never harboured any ill-will against anybody nor did he ever exhibit any violent, extreme or radical views of any kind.

Talha was a truly sweet-natured, helpful, respectful and friendly kid, and it is incredibly difficult to reconcile this Talha with the suicide bomber at an Iraqi oil installation.

Its worrying when faith in God can turn the above boy into a suicide bomber.

The family new that he had gone and did appeal for him to return.

In April, they said the teenager boarded a flight to Turkey with his friend Hassan Munshi, also 17 at the time. The families of both boys issued an urgent appeal for their return, adding they were gravely worried the pair had joined Isis.

Talha was a loving, kind, caring and affable teenager,” they said. “He never harboured any ill-will against anybody nor did he ever exhibit any violent, extreme or radical views of any kind.

Talha was a truly sweet-natured, helpful, respectful and friendly kid, and *it is incredibly difficult to reconcile this Talha with the suicide bomber at an Iraqi oil installation.

Its worrying when faith in God can turn the above boy into a suicide bomber.

*my bold

The faith in God bit is a red herring, its not faith in God what did it. Most of the comments are about a family's angish over a missing son.

The telling phrase is (in bold) the reconciliation of the two opposite impressions and is the key to understanding what happens.

So, what I wasn't told by the news, but would like to know, is where does his family, school, teachers, imam think he was for the last 3 months, and did they report his 'disappearance' to the authorities at all?

So the answer appears to be, yes they did.

So the answer appears to be, yes they did.
Therefore they did, what I'd expect "a British Muslim to do".

Good for them, and a spare thought.

Bad for their kid, and though it's only 10:45 on a Monday morning, I'm already fresh out of f to give for this week.