All Right To Buy's should be stopped

Is it time to scrap the Right To Buy scheme  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to scrap the Right To Buy scheme

• yes!
    • no
    • not bothered

Doncaster Council bought 72 houses last year to replenish their stock. This reduces the number of cheaper end houses available to first time buyers (arguably pushing up prices by reducing supply). They also gave away numerous parcels of land to housing associations to build more houses to house council tenants. They also built a number of houses themselves.

The council gave away land?

Doncaster Council bought 72 houses last year to replenish their stock. This reduces the number of cheaper end houses available to first time buyers (arguably pushing up prices by reducing supply). They also gave away numerous parcels of land to housing associations to build more houses to house council tenants. They also built a number of houses themselves.

The council gave away land?

They may have charged £1 but yes basically they give it away. They have to because housing associations won't build any houses if they don't get the land for free- it isn't financially viable. And if the housing associations don't build houses (and agree to house council tenants for the council in an agreed proportion of the houses built) there would be an even greater social housing shortage because the council are flogging all their houses at massive discounts!

What I find quite ironic as the right to buy scheme was pretty much down to the Iron Lady herself however a large percentage of those that bought their council houses were miners! Now I wonder if they'd mind handing the houses or the profits back :rolleyes:

Councils shouldn't have had money to be investing in Iceland! Any surplus should have been used to lower council tax the following year.

Its a crap system we have, I am forced by law to give my hard earned money to the dictatorship that is RMBC, they waste some, spend some, provide a poor service with some, give some to Iceland and now I may also have to pay compensation to all those child victims that were abused whilst in the care of RMBC.

You can submit an FOI request. It's no secret

So then clearly you have something that proves it so can you provide a link? I have looked everywhere I can think of and I can't see a thing that proves this. So this open 'secret' perhaps is not quite open or it's just hearsay

Edited by annbaker

So then clearly you have something that proves it so can you provide a link? I have looked everywhere I can think of and I can't see a thing that proves this. So this open 'secret' perhaps is not quite open or it's just hearsay

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/db/chamber/.%5CReports%5C230311cabrp6.doc

See 3.6

Also see 10.4

Anyone thinking of buying their council flat which is in a block, needs to read the following link urgently.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2005/may/14/housingpolicy.society

I have just tuned in to 'Moneybox' on a Radio 4 at 21.00 this evening. A woman who bought her flat in a council block more than 5 years ago, is now facing a bill of £55k, from the council for work being carried out on the estate.

So BEWARE, :nono:, RTB make work out as paying the equivalent of another mortgage.