Decision awaits on £175m investment plan for Upper Don Valley

:| thought we already had a ski village? in sheffield , a second ski village will not create new jobs it will just put the other ski village out of buisness :cool:

Did you read the link fox posted? :)

There isn't going to be a SECOND ski village - according to the website: "Menta have acquired interests in over 130 acres in the Upper Don Valley including an investment made in the existing Sheffield Ski Village in order to bring forward a fully themed Alpine Village and associated leisure uses alongside a 350m long indoor real snow facility ."

According to the blurb on the Menta site http://www.menta.co.uk/Pages/brian.php

"Notable projects [of Brian Craig, one of the directors] include the acquisition and development of .......... Leisure projects in Milton Keynes and Castleford, now trading as Xscape; and Freeport Castleford."

Sounds like Menta are proposing to bring the Sheffield Ski Village up to the standards of Xscape (anyone been? How does it compare with the Sheffield Ski Village at the moment?), which will presumably create MORE jobs at the existing ski village, not put it out of business! :)

Great Idea Lets Build On All The Nice Green Areas In The City Make Lots Of Dosh Then Emigrate , Any Other Ideas Why They Want To Build On Green Spaces With All The Old Industrial Sites That Need Sorting Out In Sheffield

Erm.....who are you complaining about here, denise853b? Isn't the whole point about this that the Claywheels Lane site IS an old industrial site that needs sorting out?

Or have I missed something? :confused:

Sounds like Menta are proposing to bring the Sheffield Ski Village up to the standards of Xscape (anyone been? How does it compare with the Sheffield Ski Village at the moment?), which will presumably create MORE jobs at the existing ski village, not put it out of business! :)

How does it compare? XScape is a brand new state of the art indoor snowdome in a complex with multiple entertainment facilities (bars, restaurants, bowling, multiplex cinema, skateboard park etc...) and shops and has it's own train station. It's generated hundreds of jobs now and during construction. Sheffield Ski Village is very good and still extremely popular but it needs something to take it to the next level. None of the facilities at the village are the quality of XScape, except perhaps the bar :).

How does it compare? XScape is a brand new state of the art indoor snowdome in a complex with multiple entertainment facilities (bars, restaurants, bowling, multiplex cinema, skateboard park etc...) and shops and has it's own train station. It's generated hundreds of jobs now and during construction. Sheffield Ski Village is very good and still extremely popular but it needs something to take it to the next level. None of the facilities at the village are the quality of XScape, except perhaps the bar :).

So the Menta proposal would be good for the Ski Village, then?

I didn't know anything about the Upper Don Valley redevelopment/investment etc project until I went to fox20thc's Middlewood Festival last weekend and stuck my head into the Menta tent to look at the info boards, but now I'm finding out more about it I'm a bit stuck to understand why the council are so against it.

It's not like they've any viable alternative plans for Claywheels Lane, for example, is it? All this talk about industry and needing space for it - there is LOADS of available space in Sheffield already. There exists at current take up rates some 34 years supply of industrial land in Sheffield and 24 years supply of un-utilized planning consents. Businesses want premises near to motorways, not miles of residential streets to travel through. It'd be harder to find a site in Sheffield further away from a motorway than Claywheels Lane!

So why aren't the council welcoming Menta's proposal with open arms?

I need to check out the whole scheme really to see what it all entails.. but from my point of view I'd really love a proper snowdome.. I'm not a fan of dry ski slopes and I need somewhere to practise my snowboarding.. Manchester are getting a new snowdome and theres castleford, but it would be nice to have one just a bus ride away.

I need to check out the whole scheme really to see what it all entails.. but from my point of view I'd really love a proper snowdome.. I'm not a fan of dry ski slopes and I need somewhere to practise my snowboarding.. Manchester are getting a new snowdome and theres castleford, but it would be nice to have one just a bus ride away.

yeah I tried it and found it far harder than skiing on real snow. Wouldnt go again. Its a waste of time once you have tried the real thing IMO so if they have fake real snow that would potentially attract a lot more people.

I've a .pdf file entitled 'Public Consultation August 2006' that Menta emailed me. I'm far too technically inept to do anything with it other than email it to anyone interested, but I've asked if there's a url - if there is I'll post the link.

It is, however, a very user-friendly thing (especially for anyone familiar with the areas in question) - loads of coloured maps showing in detail what they're proposing to do, artist's impressions, that kind of stuff.

If you're interested, PM me with your email addy and I'll forward the document to you.

There's also a questionnaire designed for local people to make comments on the scheme. Again, if it turns out that there's a url for it, I'll post it on here. Might as well talk to the horse's mouth, (do I mean that?!) if there's an opportunity for the people affected by the scheme to have their comments taken into account. :)

claywheels lane needs sorting out but do you want to loose beeley woods ?

I'm no expert on this, but when you look at the plans (see above post re Public Consultation doc) it appears that the developers have only bought land which has previously been built on, so presumably the woods would be untouched (but no longer tainted by derelict industrial buildings). I'll happily stand corrected on this if anyone has proof to the contrary, but that's what it looks like.

Archived