14 seater self drive minibus wanted to hire

Anything over 8 passengers you need to have the D1 category on you're licence and to have that you need to have been driving for a fair few years. If not then you'd need to take a psv test.

I know as I drive an 8 seater

With a basic full licence you can drive up to 7.5 ton regardless of seats.

No you can't. A basic full licence for a car covers you to drive a car. It only give you limited ability to tow a trailer as well...

You have to have a D1 licence to drive any vehicle with more than 8 passenger seats except under the S19 or S22 schemes, OR if it's for social purposes for a non-commercial body.

Taking your mates overseas to France doesn't come even anywhere close to that.

now if you meant grandfather rights to the higher categories then you you may be right - but that's no longer a basic full licence as most people would understand it...

Just for the record you can also attach a 3.5 ton trailer to your 7.5 ton vehicle on a standard licence.

Again you can't because you will have a 107 code on there limiting you to 8250kg for a trailer.... even with the Grandfather rights....

now if you meant grandfather rights to the higher categories then you you may be right - but that's no longer a basic full licence as most people would understand it...

I passed my test in 1980, but I am not a grandfather, but I have not passed any other tests, and I have D1, I could post a photo, if I could be bothered.

I have driven an almost 7.5 for a short distance and I was nervous ;)