Who owns the eggs?

A judge is to decide whether a mother can use her dead daughter's frozen eggs to give birth to her own grandchild.

Surely this is going in the wrong direction, if the judge says yes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33132616

I'm thinking that the eggs should have been destroyed when the daughter died, but I can fully understand why the mother would want to create another life from her dead daughter eggs.

If what the family say is true, why didn't their daughter make if official with the HFEA?

I don't know if there is a specific question about that. There is a question about who can use them but I'd have thought a lot of people would leave that blank or at least think v carefully so if one partner died the other could have those eggs/embryos with another person...I don't imagine the vast majority of people would even think about their mother using them!

I'm thinking that the eggs should have been destroyed when the daughter died, but I can fully understand why the mother would want to create another life from her dead daughter eggs.

Also think that the eggs should have been destroyed with the death!

From the link

'Although the daughter consented for her eggs to be stored for use after her death, she did not fill in a separate form outlining how she wished them to be used.'

I guess there's a review date by which the eggs can legally be destroyed.

---------- Post added 15-06-2015 at 14:24 ----------

I don't know if there is a specific question about that. There is a question about who can use them but I'd have thought a lot of people would leave that blank or at least think v carefully so if one partner died the other could have those eggs/embryos with another person...I don't imagine the vast majority of people would even think about their mother using them!

I agree, but it appears there needs to be a specific instruction.

They could have been used for research purposes for example, or placed in a donation process.