Where No Brit Gone Before, Will The UK Have A Space Program One Day?

The United States has had a Space Program for at least 40 year plus ,they travelled to the Moon and sending probes into outer space. Other counties are planning their own space programs. Will we ever see a manned space craft launch from British soil one day?

It has, it is called the ESA and recently it had a huge success by landing a probe on an asteroid (it woke up again last week). spacecrafts will not launch from here though, too far from the equator.

I know about ESA but not the same as seeing a rocket launch on your home soil! Would be interesting if we were on the right side of the equator and seeing this country part take in a space race.

I know about ESA but not the same as seeing a rocket launch on your home soil! Would be interesting if we were on the right side of the equator and seeing this country part take in a space race.

Apart from the ESA, most of the space race took part in the background of the Cold War and the development of nuclear missiles.

We did actually try to develop our own nuclear missiles which were called Blue Streak, but there was other cost effective options so the program was dripped and the missiles were used in the European space program until there final cancelation in the late 1960s.

If my memory serves me well, there are abandoned launch and test facilities on the Isle of Wight.

I was involved in the UK space program and we did launch rockets from the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrel_(rocket)

We used a rocket range on South Uist in the Hebrides and for the larger Skylark rocket, ranges in Australia, Arctic Norway and Sweden etc.

We did...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arrow

It put the Prospero into orbit on the fourth launch but we are too far from the equator (the extra rotational speed of the earth there is of immense help). Also buying US rockets was cheaper.

Then the ESA got going with Ariane and we moved development there.

The United States has had a Space Program for at least 40 year plus ,they travelled to the Moon and sending probes into outer space. Other counties are planning their own space programs. Will we ever see a manned space craft launch from British soil one day?

The only way forward is collaboration, even the Americans realize this. It's far to expensive for a lone country to go it alone, and we are now not in the same race that precipitated earlier conquests.