How Honest Are You?

Well I decided to upgrade my phone... Paid the company a fee for the phone because it was a bit early to upgrade....... It all came to over a hundred quid... My phone bill went up by about ten quid a month as well... I went to pick the phone up... its a very good one and I'm well pleased....

Then I started to get emails and texts advising me to pick the phone up... I thought it must be a mistake and they'd stop, but it didn't. Then they said I had 4 days or the order would be cancelled... I was tempted to go and pick it up but didn't.... I'm honest (honestly) but I didn't like the idea of them realized what they'd done and I'd look a right plonker in the shop...

So I left it...... then surprise surprise my bank account received a refund....... So I have a new phone for nowt... I'm due an upgrade in October as well... :hihi:

So should I give them the money back? :suspect:

In my defense and to prove my honest nature, about 8 years ago..... I once went for a new (second hand car) I picked a Vauxall, it cost about £8,000... I drove off and was well pleased... although I had got it on finance...

Then about 2 weeks later the Saleswoman phoned me and said she'd made a terrible mistake.. I should not have been given the car... my self employed status, on a temporary contract, albeit a long term one, had made me fail the credit check....

The documents had arrived the car was mine... there was no finance contract... so I'm not sure of the legal status of ownership.. would they have spent as much in legal fees to get it back?...

The woman phoned me back again, virtually in tears and she said, "Please bring it back, my job depends on it"... She was a very nice middle aged lady..

So I took it back. I could see her faced as I pulled up... we just smiled...

So that was that... see I'm not a crook!

imei. Google it ;)

IMEI encoded in your new phone checking in with the network.

EDIT - Dang, ninja'd! :D

But they have no reason to suspect I have it..... if they have no record I have it would they go to all the expense of trying to trace it? It could be in Brazil for all they know...

Although you have me thinking I might tell them...

But they have no reason to suspect I have it..... if they have no record I have it would they go to all the expense of trying to trace it?
They do have a record, through the shop records. As to finding out that you have it, if the shop doesn't have that data in their transaction record (which would be surprising, since you upgraded the phone with the same network provider), they can try and match based on the phone number which you have kept.

It sounds like one of those cases of the right hand database not knowing what the left hand database is doing - yet. I'm reasonably confident they'll eventually reconcile.

As to whether they come knocking on your door for the money - they might (in the name of profits...or morality :D), they might not (in the name of good customer relationships).

It could be in Brazil for all they know...
Computer IMEI says no.

When your phone sends keep-alive signals to the network (local cell) these signals include the IMEI. So network telcos automatically know which phone is in which country.

How do you think telcos know that you're roaming without you ever having to tell them? ;)

Edited by L00b

I might tell them...

Does the following line not cancel out the above statements?

I'm not a crook! I'm honest (honestly)

But they have no reason to suspect I have it. I'm honest (honestly)

Then don't tell them and keep it, just don't keep harping on about how squeaky clean you are. :suspect:

Well I decided to upgrade my phone... Paid the company a fee for the phone because it was a bit early to upgrade....... It all came to over a hundred quid... My phone bill went up by about ten quid a month as well... I went to pick the phone up... its a very good one and I'm well pleased....

Then I started to get emails and texts advising me to pick the phone up... I thought it must be a mistake and they'd stop, but it didn't. Then they said I had 4 days or the order would be cancelled... I was tempted to go and pick it up but didn't.... I'm honest (honestly) but I didn't like the idea of them realized what they'd done and I'd look a right plonker in the shop...

So I left it...... then surprise surprise my bank account received a refund....... So I have a new phone for nowt... I'm due an upgrade in October as well... :hihi:

In my defense and to prove my honest nature, about 8 years ago..... I once went for a new (second hand car) I picked a Vauxall, it cost about £8,000... I drove off and was well pleased... although I had got it on finance...

Then about 2 weeks later the Saleswoman phoned me and said she'd made a terrible mistake.. I should not have been given the car... my self employed status, on a temporary contract, albeit a long term one, had made me fail the credit check....

The documents had arrived the car was mine... there was no finance contract... so I'm not sure of the legal status of ownership.. would they have spent as much in legal fees to get it back?...

The woman phoned me back again, virtually in tears and she said, "Please bring it back, my job depends on it"... She was a very nice middle aged lady..

So I took it back. I could see her faced as I pulled up... we just smiled...

So that was that... see I'm not a crook!

You seem a nice person, im sure you know what the right thing to do is.

You really want to waste your life trying to phone them up and explain the problem??

You know full well you'll be sent round the houses, and then they'd probably take the hundred quid back themselves and let you give them an extra hundred quid on top.

Do you think they would be so forthcoming if the situation was reversed??

No, you'd spend 6 weeks continually ringing them chasing the missing money!