Like my new flat?

Twenty years ago as an impecunious student in Sheffield I was renting a single bedsit room with shared facilities in the centre for £400pcm.

Add on inflation and You will get about the same price as that place in Notting Hill.... now Sheffield is not as salubrious as London so based on Sheffield prices - which no one moans about so I presume they were fine... that place is really rather cheap...

Sheffield is overpriced. The accommodation on offer for the money abysmal.

Then again so is the Uk. London only good if you have lots of money.

---------- Post added 16-06-2015 at 11:15 ----------

Fair enough, but doesn't that make any direct comparison with London pretty pointless? London has always had a lot more flats than Sheffield, but also a lot higher demand.

---------- Post added 16-06-2015 at 11:25 ----------

It looks like the one in the OP might be overpriced anyway, unless Notting Hill has a wide variation of price based on specific area within it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-34969824.html - Studio flat, £600 pcm.

There are plenty of bedsits, shared houses and so on available in NH from £650/month.

It's a high price, but if you want to live in a trendy area in zone 1 then you have to pay for it. Nobody is forced to live there.

Cyclone, that bedsits a hole!

---------- Post added 16-06-2015 at 11:17 ----------

I had the misfortune of watching locationx3 the other day. Two sets of young professionals queing up to throw anything from £350k - £400k plus for a two bed flat or house in East London. Different world.

Yes. I saw one where the house had been split into three The middle of the house, a landing and small kitchen with a tiny upstairs bedroom was on for 200k!

I'm moving to London. I can't stand having to commute 3 hrs on the train once a week to meetings that I could do over the Internet anyway. So, I decided to by a crash pad! A steal at only £810 a month :thumbsup:

I love this country. The closer to London you get, the better it is!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/this-grimlooking-bedsit-in-notting-hill-with-a-shared-shower-and-toilet-is-on-the-market-for-810-per-month--and-its-only-for-singles-10321392.html

Where do you catch the train from? Why not take one of the fast/express trains? My husband takes the train from Doncaster or Retford, neither station takes long to drive to (from here) and the train takes far less than three hours to London.

If your meeting is in Kings X then that probably works.

If it isn't then you've probably got 30 - 60 minutes travel on the other end, so add that to the 30 minute drive to Doncaster and the 1:30 train ride, and you've got 3 hrs.

Not that he was serious about moving to Notting Hill.

If he/she is only talking about a 90 minute commute one way, round trip three hours then what is he / she moaning about?

If you need to travel you need to live within easy reach of major roads and motorways at rush hour.

I can see by the comments they haven't been round Europe never mind looked at housing, cost of livng and salaries around the world.

Don't worry yourselves about rail travel, when HR2 is finished, Sheffield will become a Northern powerhouse again and you will be able to travel to London like a speeding bullet.

Oh, and no doubt, when many migrate to Sheffield, property prices will increase just like they have in London.

You'll excuse me if I don't think "your opinion" is a particularly reliable way of determining what a value should be.

my opinion is equally as valid as anyones:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 16-06-2015 at 17:12 ----------

Phoenixboy - who did you used to be?

The clue should be in the name !

I dont know mate? always been me!:hihi: