Like my new flat?

my opinion is equally as valid as anyones:rolleyes:

Yes, that's why no-ones opinion sets the value of housing.

---------- Post added 17-06-2015 at 07:33 ----------

If he/she is only talking about a 90 minute commute one way, round trip three hours then what is he / she moaning about?

How could it possibly be 90 minutes 1 way, when the train journey alone from Doncaster takes that long.

Presumably 3 hrs meant, 3 each way as I described.

Yes, that's why no-ones opinion sets the value of housing.

---------- Post added 17-06-2015 at 07:33 ----------

How could it possibly be 90 minutes 1 way, when the train journey alone from Doncaster takes that long.

Presumably 3 hrs meant, 3 each way as I described.

...because nobody in their right mind would live far off good transport routes if they needed to travel on a regular basis. My husband regularly takes the train and it does take about 90 minutes so what are they doing for the other 90 minutes if its a three hour one way trip?

Unless you live at Doncaster station, then there's going to be some travel time to reach the station, and you won't want to cut it too fine, so you want to be there 5 mins before the train, maybe more if you have to buy/collect tickets.

And of course we live in Sheffield, which doesn't have a 90 minute service to London, but instead has a 121 minute service.

And at the other end, unless you are very fortunate to be going to an office at Kings X, you will no doubt have to walk down to the tube, catch it, maybe change a few times, then walk a few minutes to your destination at the other end.

I've travelled to London a lot, I've been to meetings at the home office and at various MOD offices, and from leaving home (where I have good transport links) it's easily 3 hours to reach Westminster, in fact, I'd say closer to 4, and that was taking a taxi to the station, not using the tram.

10 minutes taxi (because it's very early and there's no traffic)

10 minutes before the train

123 minutes to St Pancras

TFL journey planner says St Panc to Canary Wharf (another one I've done) is;

28 minutes with changes

5 minutes walk to office

That's 176 minutes. Or, near as damn it 3 hours each way.

Westminster would be about 10 minutes quicker as the tube ride is shorter.

Many people can't reach Sheffield or Doncaster station with a 10 minute taxi journey though. If you're driving to Doncaster then parking alone would take 10 minutes.

By good transport links I mean within 10 minutes by car of M1, M18, A57, A1 etc at rush hour. That is how we have chosen our location over the past thirty years as we need to travel daily for our jobs. We have always chosen to live in a decent area either on a housing estate or semi rural. We live on the edge of Sheffield and Rotherham and can drive to Doncaster within 20-25 minutes at rush hour or 25 minutes to Retford. Its quicker if you know the back road routes at rush hour. There has always been parking at the station when we have been but I drop hubby off so I know how long the journey takes at different times of day.

We can all select our job and housing by balancing desired location, affordability and travel time. We all have that choice so no point in moaning if they can't get the balance right.

Travelling what is considered a long time or distance is all relative to what you are used to too. I have driven 150 miles on a quiet day but generally 200-300 miles per working day and prior to that always travelled an hour to an hour and half to get to a fixed location for work, college or Uni fairly locally by either public transport or my own car.

I have seen better prison cells than the accommodation in the links posted.

Indeed. And some foreign countries have better cells for their prisoners than what you would get for £8.1k per month in some parts of London!

Looking at the first property on offer...

If you want to live in the UK and have a roof over your head, some very basic shelter, you can rent this in London, UK for £810 ($1300) a month.

If working Full Time on minimum wage, take home pay is £975 a month, TfL travel passes are anything from £124 up to £320 for London, zones 1-9. Suppose this one is the cheapest pass at £123 for zone 1 travel only.

Rent + Travel = £924, min wage = £975. So after rent and travel to work costs, you have £50 a month to live. Maybe not live, but try to survive without starving to death at least in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

You have just over £1 a day to eat, pay bills - water, gas, electric, internet, phone, council tax, TV license (you need a license to watch TV in the UK for crying out loud).

Globally our minimum wage is high, and all things are relative. So the problem in the UK is not low wages per se. It is high rents! (And high rents push up the cost of everything).

Our rents are so ridiculously high, some of the full time workers of Notting Hill cannot even afford to live in they standard of accommodation that is provided for prisoners.

And they might be able to move further out to get a cheaper property, but as they move further out, the cost of travel increases.

Are your eyes broken? It does mention that it's in Notting Hill!!

That's besides the point. It could be under the Queen's bleeding stairs for all I care. Look at it!! It's a prime example of how stupidly over priced London is becoming. I'm sick of people who are happy to sit back and let this continue! It's appalling.

Supply and demand old chap. I have no problem with it. High demand is fantastic for us landlords, it means we can charge more . perfect.

Indeed. And some foreign countries have better cells for their prisoners than what you would get for £8.1k per month in some parts of London!

Looking at the first property on offer...

If you want to live in the UK and have a roof over your head, some very basic shelter, you can rent this in London, UK for £810 ($1300) a month.

If working Full Time on minimum wage, take home pay is £975 a month, TfL travel passes are anything from £124 up to £320 for London, zones 1-9. Suppose this one is the cheapest pass at £123 for zone 1 travel only.

Rent + Travel = £924, min wage = £975. So after rent and travel to work costs, you have £50 a month to live. Maybe not live, but try to survive without starving to death at least in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

You have just over £1 a day to eat, pay bills - water, gas, electric, internet, phone, council tax, TV license (you need a license to watch TV in the UK for crying out loud).

Globally our minimum wage is high, and all things are relative. So the problem in the UK is not low wages per se. It is high rents! (And high rents push up the cost of everything).

Our rents are so ridiculously high, some of the full time workers of Notting Hill cannot even afford to live in they standard of accommodation that is provided for prisoners.

And they might be able to move further out to get a cheaper property, but as they move further out, the cost of travel increases.

So don't choose to live in London (Notting Hill in fact) when earning minimum wage.

---------- Post added 29-06-2015 at 20:17 ----------

By good transport links I mean within 10 minutes by car of M1, M18, A57, A1 etc at rush hour. That is how we have chosen our location over the past thirty years as we need to travel daily for our jobs. We have always chosen to live in a decent area either on a housing estate or semi rural. We live on the edge of Sheffield and Rotherham and can drive to Doncaster within 20-25 minutes at rush hour or 25 minutes to Retford. Its quicker if you know the back road routes at rush hour. There has always been parking at the station when we have been but I drop hubby off so I know how long the journey takes at different times of day.

We can all select our job and housing by balancing desired location, affordability and travel time. We all have that choice so no point in moaning if they can't get the balance right.

Travelling what is considered a long time or distance is all relative to what you are used to too. I have driven 150 miles on a quiet day but generally 200-300 miles per working day and prior to that always travelled an hour to an hour and half to get to a fixed location for work, college or Uni fairly locally by either public transport or my own car.

Okay, so 10 mins to Doncaster. 10 mins parking and walking to your platform. 90 mins on the train. That's 110 minutes to reach Kings X.

30 minutes to Canary Wharf. That's 140 minutes. That's 2:20 each way.

And you have to live in Armthorpe, Bentley, Sprotborough, Warmsworth or Loversall.

No offence, but in most cities living 10 minutes from the train station means either a city centre flat, or an area that's less than desirable.

But now you live 25 minutes from Doncaster or Retford, and so a 3 hr journey to Canary Wharf would be entirely accurate...

---------- Post added 29-06-2015 at 20:19 ----------

Where do you catch the train from? Why not take one of the fast/express trains? My husband takes the train from Doncaster or Retford, neither station takes long to drive to (from here) and the train takes far less than three hours to London.

So going back to this.

Your husband drives for 25 minutes to the station, spends some time parking and probably leaves 5 minutes spare as no one wants to just miss the train.

He then has a meeting somewhere in London, probably not Kings X station, and it could be a 30 minute tube ride away.

So 3 hours is entirely accurate. Not 90 minutes.