Bird of prey near Totley

The red kites that have been introduced to Harwood House have now started to work over our way, they are also working up from the south and I've seen them as high up as Peterborough.

It's very easy to tell the difference, buzzards are much smaller and a little stubby to look at where as red kites are bigger, more elegant in flight and has a kite like tail (where the name comes from of course)

and they make a distinctive whistling sound. And they can be seen in abundance in the Thames Valley area. If you ever go down the M40 look out between Junctions 9 and 4 and you'll see plenty.

As for our cycling twitcher, probably not a bird of prey but a Heron, most likely.

So you admit you are not a safe road user on either a pedal cucle or in a car. It does not surprise me in the the least... but your honesty did.

BTW There are many driving instructors that provide refresher courses for drivers of motor vehicles. Whether or not you need a refresher course for your cycling proficiency all rather depends on whether or not you ever passed a cycling proficency test to prove your competence to ride on public highways in the first place.

I'm guessing that you like mamy road users have not updated your highway code knowledge more than a few times since you passed your driving test.... that's assuming you ever did.

As someone else already said, nobody drives by just staring at the road ahead. That WOULD be poor driving.

I'm guessing that I know the highway code considerably better than you do.

Sorry to picky, but the op states that the bird of prey was "near Totley". Abbeydale industrial hamlet is near Totley.

Try harder next time, and maybe think about changing your username...

I guess it depends on how you define "near". Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet is Beauchief, but is nearer Millhouses, Whirlow, and possibly Dore than it is Totley.

Try less next time, and keep the username, it suits you...

Buzzards are becoming very common now. I regularly see a pair circling over Hackenthorpe, and see quite a few out towards Rother Valley/Dinnington and in the Peaks too.

Last week I saw 3 Herons all flying together, first time I've ever seen more than one at a time.

Buzzards are becoming very common now. I regularly see a pair circling over Hackenthorpe, and see quite a few out towards Rother Valley/Dinnington and in the Peaks too.

Last week I saw 3 Herons all flying together, first time I've ever seen more than one at a time.

I hope you are lying safely on your back in the grass whilst staring at the sky. And come on,make your mind up,Rother Valley or Dinnington?

Given this description by the OP...

Cycling towards the city on Abbeydale Road South, by the Industrial Hamlet, I looked right and above the trees I could see what looked like a large bird of prey circling. I could see it for about 10 secs then it folded its wings and dropped out of sight. Has anyone else seen this? What sort of bird is it?

The only birds we can safely rule out are Ostriches and Penguins I would say?

I wonder if the OP could muster up a slightly more informative description of the bird? If so they might get a more helpful answer? If not, expect more digs at cyclists from motorists and vice versa instead.

Given this description by the OP...

Cycling towards the city on Abbeydale Road South, by the Industrial Hamlet, I looked right and above the trees I could see what looked like a large bird of prey circling. I could see it for about 10 secs then it folded its wings and dropped out of sight. Has anyone else seen this? What sort of bird is it?

The only birds we can safely rule out are Ostriches and Penguins I would say?

I wonder if the OP could muster up a slightly more informative description of the bird? If so they might get a more helpful answer? If not, expect more digs at cyclists from motorists and vice versa instead.

Good idea. Perhaps they should go back and have another look to get a better description. They'd better hurry though. It will be dark soon.

So you admit you are not a safe road user on either a pedal cucle or in a car. It does not surprise me in the the least... but your honesty did.

BTW There are many driving instructors that provide refresher courses for drivers of motor vehicles. Whether or not you need a refresher course for your cycling proficiency all rather depends on whether or not you ever passed a cycling proficency test to prove your competence to ride on public highways in the first place.

I'm guessing that you like mamy road users have not updated your highway code knowledge more than a few times since you passed your driving test.... that's assuming you ever did.

You really are embarrassing yourself here.

I hope you are lying safely on your back in the grass whilst staring at the sky. And come on,make your mind up,Rother Valley or Dinnington?

Both....I ride through/past both places regularly.

And I only lie on my back after being knocked off due to drifting into oncoming traffic whilst staring at birds of prey. ;)