Car insurance categories

I drive for a living, but I have my own car, and do a few odd jobs. I am considering buying a van because it will fit in, I dont declare any work, because its just a few jobs, but if I do more, as I intend ....

I did get an online insurance quote for personal use for a van, and it was around £150 (375-500) more than my car insurance, I am thinking social + business insurance will be even more.

But is there a category for handyman, will that cover me?

No I think it's still personal+business.

A few years ago, I had a hatchback and personal insurance, and I started delivering for Whit Arrow, as a courier, it was only a few quid on top of my ordinary car insurance, it was with Nationwide, the same as my bank.

No other insurance asked for.

If you can get away with an estate car, using that for business will be much cheaper than a dedicated van.

Yes, I just got an online quote and it was only £50 more; I will need to think if I am ready for a van.

I can quite easily manage on social only experience, as there is no business yet, just a few odd jobs. Although this could increase, particularly in the school holidays.

Yes, I just got an online quote and it was only £50 more; I will need to think if I am ready for a van.

I can quite easily manage on social only experience, as there is no business yet, just a few odd jobs. Although this could increase, particularly in the school holidays.

You also need to make sure that your insurance covers any tools that you have in your car for your 'odd jobs' though.

It might be difficult trying to convince the insurance company that the lawn mower (for example) in your boot is not for business purposes. ;)

If you can get away with an estate car, using that for business will be much cheaper than a dedicated van.

I have been looking on ebay, and vans are much more expensive, why are they? I seem to recall new vans can be bought for £10k+

And the insurance will be around £200 more, but a van still appeals to me, if I can get one that is not too expensive.