Driving to spain

In a year or so i am considering driving to spain.

Dont ask me why. I just enjoy crazy challenges!

Has anyone done it? Or france or another journey?

Excuse me as this is for general..for some reason i cant get general up! Ty

Yes. Good fun to be had witha road trip. Just remember that preparation is the key to having a good time.

I've driven to the south of France a few times staying in Campanile hotels along the way. It's great fun but I'd really love to do it in a 2 seater convertible. Last time I went to France, I saw a father and son with lotus'.

Just make sure you have all the high vis jackets, warning triangle, bulb kits etc and a map is a really good idea.

In a year or so i am considering driving to spain.

Dont ask me why. I just enjoy crazy challenges!

Has anyone done it? Or france or another journey?

Excuse me as this is for general..for some reason i cant get general up! Ty

I remember Top Gear did a drive to Stockholm via Copenhagen and it looked to be is a nice one.

It's a fun trip. I used to drive from here to the North of the Netherlands regularly, using the Channel Tunnel, in fact I am going again in a few weeks as things stand. Just under a 1000 kilometres, so a good day-trip.

To Spain obviously is further, about twice as long if you go to Madrid so that would be a minimum of two days. I'd recommend doing it in 3 though, get across the Channel, stay the first night in the Rouen area, then drive to the Gascogne (south of Bordeaux) just north of the Pyrennees and then to Madrid the following day. That way you have 6/7 hours of driving each day, take an hour in between and it gives you time to explore a bit as well.

Edit: The Dutch frequently do Netherlands to south of France in a day, with a caravan. I'm not a fan of that myself, my maximum drive is 12 hours and preferably 10 for a day. You don't want to risk tiredness causing an accident.

Further edit: Do it in a GOOD car.

Even further edit: Keep track of what the worst days on the French roads are! Some Fridays and Saturdays at the end of June, beginning of July the motorways heading south get so clogged up with Dutch caravans that it will take you twice as long!

Edited by tzijlstra

It's a fun trip. I used to drive from here to the North of the Netherlands regularly, using the Channel Tunnel, in fact I am going again in a few weeks as things stand. Just under a 1000 kilometres, so a good day-trip.

To Spain obviously is further, about twice as long if you go to Madrid so that would be a minimum of two days. I'd recommend doing it in 3 though, get across the Channel, stay the first night in the Rouen area, then drive to the Gascogne (south of Bordeaux) just north of the Pyrennees and then to Madrid the following day. That way you have 6/7 hours of driving each day, take an hour in between and it gives you time to explore a bit as well.

Edit: The Dutch frequently do Netherlands to south of France in a day, with a caravan. I'm not a fan of that myself, my maximum drive is 12 hours and preferably 10 for a day. You don't want to risk tiredness causing an accident.

Further edit: Do it in a GOOD car.

Even further edit: Keep track of what the worst days on the French roads are! Some Fridays and Saturdays at the end of June, beginning of July the motorways heading south get so clogged up with Dutch caravans that it will take you twice as long!

Wow, excellent info. Thanks!

---------- Post added 17-06-2015 at 11:57 ----------

Got northern Spain in mind, galacia, asturias, San sabastien. That's as far as I got with planning!

Spain is a huge country. Twice the size of UK according to Google!

Edited by phoenixboy

I've driven to the south of France a few times staying in Campanile hotels along the way. It's great fun but I'd really love to do it in a 2 seater convertible. Last time I went to France, I saw a father and son with lotus'.

Just make sure you have all the high vis jackets, warning triangle, bulb kits etc and a map is a really good idea.

Mate that sounds amazing. I'd love to do it in a sports car