Are Camelot getting greedy or desperate?

Think this will massively backfire I have done the lottery since it started, I know the odds, I reduced my entries to just Saturday's when the price went up, I will reduce my entries to zero when the ten numbers are added. Just think that for all the people who wish to keep their numbers that they cannot win top prize if any of the extra numbers come out.

Personally I agree with you, I do think (and hope) it will backfire. They were greedy enough to raise the ticket price, and if that wasn't bad enough, now they massively reduce the chances of winning the jackpot...It's about time someone else had a go at doing it...I always wanted Richard Branson to run it....But he was muscled out of it..Somehow :suspect:

I think my grandad once won £2,000 or so for 4 numbers, where as I won last year and got £72

Not a chance it was ever that much for just 4 numbers. In the first month of the National Lottery, my gran won £4k for FIVE numbers, which may be what you are thinking of.

Camelot have announced that they intend to add a further 10 balls to the lottery draw. This will effectively decrease the odds of winning a jackpot from 14 million it one, way up to (I think from memory) 47 million to one.

Since they increased the cost from a pound to two pounds per play, the roll-overs seem to be a common occurrence. For instance this week is a quadruple roll over.

No doubt this will encourage more people to play, in the hopes of getting a substantial win.

Personally, I play the lottery regularly...You never quite know!....Someone has to win it, and you have to be in it to win it. (Thankfully I've only ever done lucky dips, so I'm not stuck in the loop of "what if my numbers came up")

But 47 million to one odds?

I'm pretty much forming the opinion not to bother...Boycott it..Camelot have had a good run and made milllions....

I was thinking this too. I think they are making the UK lottery the same as the Euro Lottery.

Coincidently I won £25 on the lottery last-night :)

Not a chance it was ever that much for just 4 numbers. In the first month of the National Lottery, my gran won £4k for FIVE numbers, which may be what you are thinking of.

I remember getting 4 numbers and I got about £60....It was crap...But if you look at the prizes these days they're much lower than they were years ago for the smaller prizes (apart from the £25 for 3 numbers, but that's only been like that since they raised the price to £2 per line.

I think they are making the UK lottery the same as the Euro Lottery.
I think Camelot are going to need to add a zero to their jackpot every week to do that :hihi: (...which is also the reason why I think Camelot have been losing, and will continue to lose, business).

What did I see in the shop last night...£17m as the jackpot for a quadruple rollover, was it? You'd be into 3 digit-millions for a quadruple rollover on the Euro lottery.

Now I know full well the Euro scales up with the territorial reach...but I believe most people who play lotteries, regularly or not, just look at the big number - and that's the killer for Camelot.

Edited by L00b

The odds offered by this private company are beyond awful. They make bookies look like Saints. They paid 9/1 (3 numbers) for a 54/1 (actual odds) shot.

---------- Post added 18-06-2015 at 16:47 ----------

Most of the profits go to greedy shareholders, so you know what to do. If a NHS one is started, use that.