Are Camelot getting greedy or desperate?

Well summed up . In New York a lottery ticket is $1.00 (one dollar) and the jackpot is about $80 million .

If you're the only winner of a $80 million lottery jackpot in New York, you certainly won't be walking away with $80 million.

Camelot are becoming gready, tickets should have been kept at £1 and they should have stayed with the original one draw per week on a Saturday.

Camelot have announced that they intend to add a further 10 balls to the lottery draw. This will effectively decrease the odds of winning a jackpot from 14 million it one, way up to (I think from memory) 47 million to one.

Since they increased the cost from a pound to two pounds per play, the roll-overs seem to be a common occurrence. For instance this week is a quadruple roll over.

No doubt this will encourage more people to play, in the hopes of getting a substantial win.

Personally, I play the lottery regularly...You never quite know!....Someone has to win it, and you have to be in it to win it. (Thankfully I've only ever done lucky dips, so I'm not stuck in the loop of "what if my numbers came up")

But 47 million to one odds?

I'm pretty much forming the opinion not to bother...Boycott it..Camelot have had a good run and made milllions....

It seriously makes me cringe when people say 'someone has to win it'. No they don't! That's why there are roll-overs - because no-one won it! You aren't playing everyone else, you're playing the odds. And as it stands you could get the phone book from the top ten biggest cities in the country, stick the pages to a wall randomly and throw a dart at it blindfolded. The chance of you hitting your own name are still better than winning the lottery. So basically, it's a tax on the gullible and those who are no good at maths.

The only time it is ever worth playing is when the expected jackpot is over the amount of return you get on investment. So for the current system that would be £26million. (£2 at 13m-1) And then only if you win it on your own.

I remember Camelot justifying the price increase of Lotto - they claimed that Jackpots would be higher yet when I looked on their website a moment ago the Jackpot was 'Estimated' at £2Million. It was regularly this on a Wednesday prior to the increase.

A total rip-off and I feel vindicated in choosing NOT to bother playing since October 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received this email from 'Lotto'

Tickets go on sale from Thursday 8th October so you will have 3 days to get in the draw.

How are we creating more chances to become a millionaire with Lotto? Launching with the draw on Saturday 10th October we'll be introducing:

NEW 'MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE'

This guarantees a millionaire in every draw. Alongside the jackpot, that's two chances to be a millionaire! Plus there will be 20 raffle winners of £20,000 - in every draw.

FREE LOTTO LUCKY DIP®

Match 2 numbers and win a free Lotto Lucky Dip®. There'll be nearly 2 million winners every week all getting another chance to become a millionaire!

EXCITING JACKPOTS

Bigger rolling jackpots means there's more to play for from Saturday 10th October.

EXTRA NUMBERS TO CHOOSE FROM

Choose 6 numbers from a total of 59. You can still play your lucky numbers.

LOTTO HOTPICKS IS CHANGING TOO

There are more numbers to pick from (1-59) and much bigger prizes. Matching 5 numbers will now scoop you £350,000!

Don't forget, The National Lottery exists to raise money for National Lottery Projects

We raise on average £34 million every week and Lotto makes up a big part of that. By making Lotto even more exciting to play we can continue to grow the returns to the National Lottery Projects.

Watch out for these exciting changes from Saturday 10th October and don't forget to buy your tickets for Saturday's 25 millionaire draw from Thursday 8th October!

Sincerely,

The National Lottery Team

I don't think I'll be playing again!

Because it's endorsed by the government and shown on BBC. You can play it at 16 whereas other gambling is 18.

I'm not sure any of those are reasons for banning it..No-one is forced to play....at least some of the takings goes to "good causes" unlike most other forms of gambling..